• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Alternative to Frontline/Advantage/etc.?

dandelos

So it's been killing my wife each month when we apply Frontline to Skippy, seeing him claw and scratch at the back of his shoulder blades, basically being uncomfortable for an entire day+night. She hates the fact that we have to "poison" him in order to keep him flea-free.

The result was that she came home from the pet store the other day with a bottle of Lumino's "Diatomaceous Earth". Before using it, I tried Googling it to get more information/reviews on it, but didn't find much, apart from the fact that it's advertised as organic and non-toxic.

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge on this product? I would be especially interested to know if it is effective at all.

Thanks in advance!

So it's been killing my wife each month when we apply Frontline to Skippy, seeing him claw and scratch at the back of his shoulder blades, basically being uncomfortable for an entire day+night. She hates the fact that we have to "poison" him in order to keep him flea-free.

The result was that she came home from the pet store the other day with a bottle of Lumino's "Diatomaceous Earth". Before using it, I tried Googling it to get more information/reviews on it, but didn't find much, apart from the fact that it's advertised as organic and non-toxic.

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge on this product? I would be especially interested to know if it is effective at all.

Thanks in advance!

My dog had a neuroligical reaction to frontline so ysed this product before going to the beach house where she pucked up fleas last year. No fleas this year! Didnt help for tick though...
I cannot believe frontline is legal and how vets support it and even laugh at me when i tell them about what my dog went through.

We have switched to the oral flea medication, Comfortis, and have had excellent results with it. I too had an issue with applying to topical and we were still seeing fleas. We switched about 3 months ago and have seen no fleas.

My dog had a neuroligical reaction to frontline so ysed this product before going to the beach house where she pucked up fleas last year. No fleas this year! Didnt help for tick though...
I cannot believe frontline is legal and how vets support it and even laugh at me when i tell them about what my dog went through.

Yeah so far from additional stuff I've read, it seems this Dia Earth might not work as well on ticks. That, and it can cause a dusty mess when applying....

We have switched to the oral flea medication, Comfortis, and have had excellent results with it. I too had an issue with applying to topical and we were still seeing fleas. We switched about 3 months ago and have seen no fleas.

If this product is more natural and safer than toxic stuff like Frontline, it might just be an option for us! Will look into this more, thanks!!

I use Sentinel which is a pill given once a month. It is effective against heartworms, and also gets fleas, although some dogs can still need supplemental flea medication depending on the situation.

There's a new pill, Trifexis, that is Comfortis but also takes care of heartworms. It's quite expensive though.

I like the heartworm/flea combos because it's so convenient.

In my experience my dogs hate the topical treatments. I think it must burn because of the way they react.

My vet was telling me that Sentinel will kill fleas at all 'life stages' (of flea development) and he seemed quite impressed about that. However, it doesn't do anything for ticks. I don't think Comfortis does, either. What do you do for ticks?

(Fortunately, K9Advantix II is still working here.....)

Back