Thread: HELP Churchill swallowed a chicken bone WHOLE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default HELP Churchill swallowed a chicken bone WHOLE

Last night we were eating wings and churchill grabbed one of the bones and before we could get to him he swallowed it whole. Called the vet and he said to give him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up. He threw up twice but no bone. Seems fine this morning. Do I need to worry???
    Karen Churchill's Mom Male Ruby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would get him in for an x-ray immediately and for a vet check to see where the bones are in his system and whether they need to be surgically removed. Chicken bones when they are cooked, can be really dangerous–they can puncture the stomach or the intestines on the way down. it will take a day for them to pass through his system, and so he can potentially become quite ill at any time–the other problem is, if he has a puncture, he may pass the bones but still become ill. I would be back on the phone to your vet and explain that he vomited none of the bones.

I have had distressed dogs vomit even supposedly safer raw chicken wing bones up to 12 hours later, so I no longer feed raw chicken wings. They clearly would not pass down through the dogs system and us–thankfully–eventually came back up. They were very sharp shards.

I don't know how large the bone is that you're talking about–but I would be personally, quite alarmed if it was a whole bone as his system won't be able to digest this and you could potentially end up with a blockage or a tear in the digestive system, both potentially fatal.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thanks Karlin

Our vet will be available in about 3 hours us time and I will call him immediatley. Thanks for the input. am watching very closley.
    Karen Churchill's Mom Male Ruby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OH NO. Any news?
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Eowyn

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karen, is Churchill okay.....please let us know.......our fingers and toes and paws are crossed.