Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

love and hugs to you all

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of love and prayers heading your way. I really think she is going to get through this
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like

thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes your way.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest update... slightly better news but very cautious

Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.
    Heartbreaking. Ive personally never heard of a surgery failing for this reason.... (meaning dog with a severe syrinx that all of a sudden breaks down because the spinal flyid being restored after surgery) Honestly; if thats a real possibility then I would really need to know as Blondir gas a large syrinx too with symptoms that dont correlate to the severity of syrinx. Maybe Karlin or Russ now more..? But since i havent heard of this i have good hopes!! I think her body will restore... Hang in there! Love ur gracie
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Being a little clearer on the syrinx issue

Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....
    U could see that... Just imagine everything in the back if ur brain stops flowing and there is water in ur spain, all o a sudden flow restores; as almost taking your finger of a gardenhose. I could see how that causes discomfort. If u hold a river from flowing with a dam and then remove the dam the river is going to be out of control , only to then restore later to a normal peaceful river...
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Debra, I realized after reading my post that maybe it sounded like I was trying to compare pancreatitis to brain surgery, I was not. I just know that sometimes it takes a bit for the body to accept a correction. My father has NPH, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. The ventricles stop working correctly, causing water build up. He has had three surgeries. Long and short is his third surgery (they replaced a shunt that had failed) was his most painful. They weren't sure why. But it just took a little longer for his body to adjust, and he ended up hospitalized longer than when they put in the first shunt.

I am praying that this new drug combo will help Gracie till her body adjusts to all the new stuff happening. Gracie is a fighter, and you are too! So you just be strong for Gracie. Believe that she will get better. See her with confidence that she is YOUNG and strong and will get through this. And you are STRONG too! Think only positive stuff okay? Hugs to you both. Gracie WILL get through this!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Blondiemaster aka lynn, dr. Brofman described it exactly like a dam and having all the water rush. So if it is causing the syrinx discomfort I hope it adjusts like a peaceful river. Think of all the csf built up had to make her feel bad and hopefully ease that pressure.

I know its hard to do, even though I'm amazed by your strength, its important for gracie to feel that. "A possitive mental attitude is better than any medicine". Thinking and praying for you, your hubby and gracie!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella