• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's Appointment At Chestergates "Mr Geoff Skerritt" Mon 22 nd 11.00 AM

Hi

Firstly thank you to each and every one it does help to know theres so many kind people out there and some who have faced the same or more
difficult problems than Daisy and I .

Secondly ,Dasiy is the same Daisy as she was twelve hours ago except for a little bald spot on her left leg that wasnt there before .Thirdly her diagnosis
was along the lines I expected and Fourthly is Daisy any better now than she was before we started after having a days stress, a GA, followed by a full body MRI ,so my honest answer is I dont know, but I did know prior to this she had no pain and I did know she scaratched if I rubbed her right side and I suspected PSOM which was confirmed by MR S but not sufficiently a problem to do anything about it for now as he said it was only in her right middle ear and may partially affect her hearing .We did find out she has what he described as Severe SM and her syrinx's are many but narrow so prob grade 2 .Daisy also has CM which MR S. Graded 1 and of course PSOM .As she is asymptomatic apart from if you stroke her she will scartch he said she shows no clinical sign of pain so the only medication he suggested was half a 20 gr tablet of Frusimide to possibly reduce pressure and hopefully slow down progression ,He checked her out prior to the GA to ensure she could cope took a blood sample for a liver and kidney function test which was fine and I forgot to ask about her heart which I should have done .So for now its frusimide only and no pain control medication as he thinks she has no need for this now so keep that for poss the future.I think thats all I can remember for now so overall disappoitment yes but some minus and some plus especially the no obvious pain and narrow syrinx .He gave me a proper XRAY which when I figure out how to digitise I will post .

Thanks again all for your concern,it did help a lot.:flwr::flwr:

Brian,
I'm sorry to hear about Daisy and I'm so glad she has you to look after her. It must be heartbreaking for you. I'm glad to hear she is not in any pain. Sending hugs to you and your girls from down under. It must have been a long day for you today.

For now.....

Go home and rest and kiss all your doggies. Give Ms. Daisy a big nuzzle from us. The grade of the CM is encouraging to me....and narrow syrinx too. We were not ao lucky.

I didn't want to check this thread because I was afraid of what might be there, but Brian, despite the diagnosis, Daisy could be an awful lot worse than she is.

What I can tell you on a positive note is that 20 mgs of Frusemide twice daily has absolutely transformed my Rebel. He was screecching with pain when I took him to my vet about a year ago, realising that he had symptoms for the first time. His face was contorted with pain at that time. Within a couple of daus on the Frusemide he showed small improvements, which have carried on all the time.

Rebel had also been almost stone deaf before he started treatment, then his hearing started to come back. This morning I forgot to stand behind him and to speak slowly and clearly when I gave him an instruction or said something I wanted him to hear. I was the other side of the room where he could see me and because all the dogs were playing up when I was short of time, I told him very quickly and quite sharply to do what I wanted him to do. To my utter amazement he looked straight at me, then popped his tongue out a little bit to say okay, then did exactly what I had asked. I said 'Good boy' and he licked my hand. So even a year later he is improving.

So Brian, if Frusemide can help Rebel so much I am sure it will help Daisy.

Sending cyber hugs for both of you (y)

So sorry to read this Brian, but as you say she is still your same beautiful Daisy.

10mg of frusemide twice daily kept my Tommy comfortable for a few years, and when he did become uncomfortable at least I could recognise what was happening and deal with it.

Give her a gentle hug from me

Hi Brian, just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about Daisy's diagnosis. Even though you suspected it was the case, one always hopes it is not. I am glad that she did not display any pain during evaluation.
I hope you and the girls have a relaxing night after such a busy and stressful day.
:lotsaluv:

Brian like everyone else I am really sorry to read about Daisy's diagnosis but as you know she and you are in good hands and she will get the best of care from all involved. Hopefully the frusemide will give her great relief - just watch out for extra trips to the bathroom as it makes them very thirsty with associated extra peeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, I've been gone for about 5 days, and came here first moment I could to find out about your precious Daisy.

Okay.....so you got the dreaded dx. You've faced the giant, and now time to battle it. You have so many wonderful friends here who care so deeply about you and the girls. People who have traveled this road before you and will continue to go on before you and lay the trail for you to follow.

I'm grateful to hear that she isn't exhibiting any pain. Of course, that is always one of our biggest cocerns with our wonderful Cav's. But I know you will be watching her carefully, always fully aware, and ready to care for her the best you can.

Keep the faith. Remember everyday new things are discovered about so many different disorder and disease. I pray that Daisy will have the great results that many others have gotten on the board.

Thank you for always being an encouragement to others here. Hoping we can do the same for you.

Hugs and prayers.

Last edited:
So sorry to read about Daisy's diagnosis. At least she is pain free and long may it continue. Thinking of you x

Give Daisy cavi kisses from Team Bella
:l*v: She's still and always will be Dangerous Daisy to me .....always makes me smile

Sorry about the diagnosis, Brian; frusemide is a good place to start.

I wasn't aware Mr Skerritt was giving grades on severity of CM -- interesting.

It is very hard to tell whether PSOM is causing symptoms rather than SM. You can end up having to do the ear flushing procedure many times as well. I'd think given if SM is severe. that that is what is causing symptoms. Many if not most cavaliers seem to MRI with PSOM and if symptomatic they mostly respond to treatments for SM.

Hello Karlin

And thanks .Started her off this morning with the frusimide ,I am off work all week so so far today they have all been out
twice and out again at 4.30 and of course Daisy is just Daisy .I had the dentist and Dasiy had her hospital yesterday and Dawn
has the docs tomorrow I think we are all falling apart ,but thinking more about her scan results I am more than pleased she
is showing no clinical signs of pain so apart from knowing what she has she is of course absolutely just my Daisy and my other
little bonus as well is that I also know after Rosies MRI last year that she has CM but again no sign of pain .

Did anything develop from the thread last year re NAC supplements and PSOM .?

Mr S gave me an Xray scan sheet and have been puzzled how to get the images on CD so I can share and learn ,anybody know,
I have asked Chestergates for a CD with them on but heard nothing yet also asked them if during the procedure they checked
her heart .You think you wont suffer from memeory failure when you hear the verdict but you do then over the next few days
you think of all the questions you should of asked but didn't.

I've been out of town for a few days visiting with family, so I'm just catching up and am so sorry to hear of Daisy's diagnosis. Hopefully the frusemide will keep her comfortable.

As much as I felt your pain, it was wonderful reading your diary and being privy to your innermost thoughts and feelings about your sweet Daisy and the agony of waiting for the appointment and then waiting to find out the results of the MRI. Those of us who have been there know exactly what you were going through.

Hugs and kisses to Daisy and her poodle legs.

Brian,
If it's on film..
Hold it straight up in front of a strong light source or outside in mid day.
Photograph it,load it to Flickr.that's what I did with my daisy's and it gave a good idea of whatwas on the film.
Don't forget to sumbit the results to the AHT for the EBV scheme for both Daisy and rosie.
:eek:
Sins

Hi Sins

Are Chestergates acceptable.The results are on a big xray sheet the type you put up on the sort of
lightbox thingy in a hospital .

All scans are useful for the EBVs and don't forget they need the unaffected ones too.

If your Cavalier has been MRI scanned for syringomyelia and/or screened for mitral valve disease (heart murmur) then we would like to have a copy of the results certificates, together with the Kennel Club registered name and number of the dog or a 5-generation pedigree. For quality control purposes we cannot include in our database screening information about a dog unless we hold a copy of the results certificate and have owner consent to have it. All results certificates and the actual disease status of individual dogs will remain completely confidential and will not be shared with any other parties outside the AHT.

All copies of screening results certificates and pedigrees should be sent to:

Dr Sarah Blott,
CKCS Health Breeding Programme,
Animal Health Trust,
Lanwades Park, Kentford,
Newmarket,
Suffolk CB8 7UU

Or electronic copies of the documents (e.g. pdf files) can be e-mailed to [email protected]

I would suggest Brian in your case,sending a copy of the reports sent to your vets where the diagnosis is mentioned,or in rosie's case where she is deeed to be unaffected.
Sins

Back