Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: harness or collar?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine nearly always wear collars for identification because I don't trust the microchips and also a harness if I think there is any chance they will try and pull on the lead. I don't want them yanking their necks but lunging on a harness can cause shoulder injury (although less severe than neck injury) so it's safest to teach the dogs to walk on a loose leash regardless. I only use a harness they can't step out of. I had a bad experience with Mindy stepping out of one brand and walking along by my side. Thank goodness it was Mindy because Max was a puppy at the time and he probably wouldn't have just walked nicely along beside me at that stage of his life.

I do most of my training off leash
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindysmom View Post
    Mine nearly always wear collars for identification because I don't trust the microchips and also a harness if I think there is any chance they will try and pull on the lead.
    Can't I put her tag on a harness? So she doesn't have to wear both harness and collar?
    Where it was dark now there's light
    Where there was pain now there's joy
    Where there was weakness, I found my strength...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you could. My guys only wear their harnesses when we go out though and I want them wearing their tags all the time.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Alfie has had a harness for walking on the lead from the get go, but wears a collar just for his identity tag ( he is also micro chipped ) He scratches at the harness sometimes and I've checked it's fit and under his 'armpits' for soreness and there is none. I have just ordered a Puppia one so we will see if that helps .

Post Thanks / Like

All of Toby's tags are on his harness. I know this sounds bad but he has 6 tags.
    1. bone shaped tag with name and our phone #
    2. AKC tag with AKC number and ID
    3. Home Again phone number
    4. microchip ID
    5. License for our county
    6. Trupanion ID
    In a few more days there with be a Rabies tag
    I know it seems like a lot but if one of the places doesn't answer the phone or the number rubs off there will be others to call.
    He doesn't seem to be bothered with it in the slightest. He doesn't tilt one way or the other.

Becky