• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

expressing anal glands

geeraffeman

Hi ya,

I am new to this so please bear with me. My five year old Cavalier King Charles, Willow Scoots almost everyday, sometimes several times a day. I know this is to do with the anal glands being full, I think.

Is it right that I woulod need to express them myself?

Apparantly I use a rubber glove, then lift his tail and between 5-7 o'clock press on his anus?

Can anyone tell me if this is right please?

Thankuicon_whistling:l*v:

Hi ya,

I am new to this so please bear with me. My five year old Cavalier King Charles, Willow Scoots almost everyday, sometimes several times a day. I know this is to do with the anal glands being full, I think.

Is it right that I woulod need to express them myself?

Apparantly I use a rubber glove, then lift his tail and between 5-7 o'clock press on his anus?

Can anyone tell me if this is right please?

Thankuicon_whistling:l*v:

Scooting can be due to full anal glands which you should be able to feel as lumps on one or both sides of the anus.
Worms, itchy bottom ( try vaseline ) or even SM can also cause scooting.

Emptying the glands is something you can do yourself, but I would suggest that you may do well to get an experienced dog friend, or your vet, to show you how to do it first.

Be aware that when exerting pressure on a full anal gland you need to be careful that your face is not in the line of fire.

This is a subject that has often been discussed, so trying using the search facility to get some more information. There are also YouTube clips that you may find helpful.

I have created a new thread for you as it is a new question and not quite the same as the old thread it was attached to. (y)

When it has been confirmed they are full anal glands and not anything else causing the scooting, you really need to express the glands initially under the guidance of someone experienced or a vet. Personally, I would get the vet to express them. If the scooting is due to full glands you might consider trying something like natural ground oatbran. All three of my dogs suffered with full glands on a regular basis. It has been a bit of trial an error, we initally started with 2 teaspoons a day and now use only 3/4 of a teaspoon. All three dogs have had clear glands for the last couple of months.
Hope this helps.

5369576569_9605549b6c.jpg

Be aware that when exerting pressure on a full anal gland you need to be careful that your face is not in the line of fire.

Oh Margaret that made me laugh out loud. When the vet did's Leo's once she told me she was glad she was wearing googles :grnyuk:

Doing anal glands yourself takes a couple of times before you get the hang of it, and it is really a strange thing to excited over once you master it...lol! Have your groomer or vet show you how to do it externally (so fingers are not going inside, a lot of vets will express internally). You can usually feel the sacs if they are full, about the size of small grapes. If they are very firm, they are compacted and need an internal expression by a vet. Otherwise the liquid should be a light brownish color. Anything thick should be a visit to the vet and maybe a check on the diet.

Hope this helps!

Be aware that when exerting pressure on a full anal gland you need to be careful that your face is not in the line of fire

Oh Margaret that made me laugh out loud. When the vet did's Leo's once she told me she was glad she was wearing googles :grnyuk:

Just spent 2 minutes falling around the place with laughter (OH thinks I'm crazy!). One of my guys in particular has very propulsive glands, I tend to do them in the bath and his can hit the opposite wall :yuk:. I can only imagine the goo hitting someone in the face... with force :yikes

Back