Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Licking

Toby is now 17 weeks old. He licks everything! He will lick the carpet, blankets, himself, us, toys etc.. He has lots of toys to play with and we pay attention to him all the time. I don't know if this is an obsession or just a puppy thing. Anyone have ideas on how to get it to stop?

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gracie used to do that....

But not nearly as often nowadays at age 15 months. Not sure if a puppy thing but her habit did change

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can be an obsessive compulsive disorder if it is excessive -- you might want to talk to your vet. Yet another thing the breed is prone too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it qualifies as obsessive but it does happen often. I just don't see anything on the floor to lick but maybe he smells leftovers from a bone I will talk with the vet and see if she has any experience in this.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Millie my eldest, age 6, has a few plush toys that she licks ond sooks on, she sometimes rubs her front paws back and forward on the rug while she's doing this, until she falls asleep with the toy still hanging out her mouth. All her toys are too big to fit fully into her mouth so aren't a hazard, and she doesn't chew or bite bits off. I wash them regularly and just let her get on with it, it's cute and she enjoys it

Post Thanks / Like

Molly actually does the same thing. She always licks our hands/toes/clothing/the floor and even the sides of cabinets and walls..she just does a couple of licks and walks off..lol i thought it might just be her experiencing the world through taste!
    Molly is only 16 weeks old

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm interesting. Jack still does this (although it was worse when he was a puppy),from time to time a little obsessively. He is going to be 3 years old in Dec.
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm maybe it is just a breed thing since so many do this. It just gets a little annoying when you don't want soaked pants LOL I thought maybe he liked the fabric softener

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Bubbles licks constantly. She licks her paws, the carpet, the couch almost anything and when you try to stop her she will lick your hands. I have mentioned it to the vets many times and even last week she was licking and biting her paws so badly that one bled. I took her to the vets and he checked her for "red spider" but she was clear and he couldn't find any other reason for the excessive behaviour.
    Anne.
    Bubbles (blenheim) rescue cav,
    Mishka (tricolour) at the rainbow bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW that does sound excessive especially if she is biting and licking so much that she bleeds. Toby is not at all the bad. I think he does it more for attention because we tell him to stop so he knows he has our attention.
    I hope you find a cause for her behavior.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by mishy View Post
    Bubbles licks constantly. She licks her paws, the carpet, the couch almost anything and when you try to stop her she will lick your hands. I have mentioned it to the vets many times and even last week she was licking and biting her paws so badly that one bled. I took her to the vets and he checked her for "red spider" but she was clear and he couldn't find any other reason for the excessive behaviour.