• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

wants training treats all day

gamefanz

So we are in puppy training with Toby. It is going well but we are finding that he wants to "work" just to get treats. When we say leave it, he will leave it but then expect a treat. This happens with every little thing. To teach drop it (we use the words Thank you) he is doing well but wants a treat every time he drops a toy. He is getting food driven but his trainer wants us to treat him EVERY time he does what he is supposed to do or does without asking. Like sitting and looking at our eyes, if he does this on his own we are supposed to treat him.
I don't want to give him so much because we are cutting his food down just to give treats. I can't not give him food at all.
What do I do when we are not in a home "training session" but he does what he is told when told to like "leave it"?
Becky

You can use his food as treats. Or, you could praise instead of treats. My two are insatiable when it comes to treats, so they get their set limit each day (spread over the course of the day), and no more.

Thank you. I guess I could hold his lunch in a baggy and give it all day. I did just try the praise after he stopped doing something bad and he looked at me strangely because he was not getting a treat. UGH! I am all for positive training but I don't want a food driven dog. I will continue with the praises and see how it goes.

Becky

Contrary to what many people think, dogs don't obey you because they love you but because you make it worth their while! And at the early stages of training that often means food! As your relationship develops, praise will take over as an acceptable reward. You can gradually get Toby to do more before he gets the treat - my two aren't allowed treats when they are working in competition but they know the treat pot is nearby and they will get something at the end, although to start with they got a treat every time. An alternative, if Toby is into playing with toys, is to use a short game as a reward - hold a toy in your hand or behind your back and if for example he watches you for several minutes, throw the toy for him and praise him. A toy is also a good way of teaching heelwork - a few steps of close walking and then throw the toy for a few seconds of fun. It doesn't matter that they concentrate on your hand holding the toy or treat rather than looking you in the eye - in order to look you in the face, a small dog automatically steps away from your side, which is not what you want with heelwork!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS Cat biscuits are much smaller but very smelly, so make good training treats without adding too much to the food ration.

I was worried that using treats to train Nalu was interfering with her appetite for regular food because I have a heck of a time getting her to eat her dinners. (But now she wants a different kind of treat.) Maybe you can cut back the training to ten minutes a couple times a day and use healthy treats. The problem will work its way out as quickly as she grows.

Nalu also used the opportunity to try and train us to treat her whenever she'd sit and lay down. I encourage her to teach us what she's thinking. It's interesting that it actually works to our advantage this week while she's sick with diarrhea from an infection. She's on a rice based minimal diet with (vague) vet orders not to eat much:(. Being a very skinny picky eater has me concerned she's getting enough. This week when she's in the kitchen laying down with that begging look in her eyes, I know she has to be fed something right away.

Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions. I will them a shot. I have nothing to lose LOL

Becky

treats......

hi,
out of interest, what treats do you give your puppy? I've got an 8 week old boy and he's pretty fussy. We're still keeping him on the wet food the breeder was feeding him on but he's hardly touching it and he only seems to be into cooked chicken treats. I've tried the chicken in a kong but he loses interest after a minute or two.... his crate/potty training seems to be going ok with praise but an amazing treat would make our lives a little easier, especially when trying to get him to settle down and play alone.

Rich

Blue Buffalo wilderness trail treats
ZiwiPeak Lamb recipe treats
Buddy biscuits peanut butter treats
tricky trainers chewy cheddar treats
Little stars treats
&
I boiled then baked chicken - cut into little pieces for a higher value treat

The trainer said a wide variety of treats is a good thing.

We feed Taste of the wild dry dog food and he goes WILD for it. I put a little yogurt in his lunch as a probiotic for him.

Hope this helps.
Becky

Our Sophie only does what I want when there is food involved, especially when it comes to nice leash-walking. If she knows there is no food reward, she is quite hard-headed and willful. I finally found a healthy type dog treat that had none of her allergens (a real challenge), and she'll stand on her head for a crumb of it. Her motto: "I'm only in it for the food!"

Nalu likes the salmon Zuke's Mini Naturals (no wheat, corn, soy, artificial flavors, added fat or by-products) and a portion of the profits go to the Dog & Cat Cancer fund.

Ian Dunbar goes into using food treats and why they are NOT to be given all the time and slowly given less and less :). You can read more in the training guide section of www.dogstardaily.com and also download his free e-book copy of his well known training book, After You Get Your Puppy, which also goes into all of this in detail. :) Lots of good advice above too! As Kate says, you are doing a quid pro quo that motivates your dog -- much faster learning than just with praise. Never punishment or leash jerks, of course!

Back