• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin

Sabby

As a few know Harley is limping and the Xray didn't show anything and hopefully he is having an MRI soon. As it could be SM and tramadol and Previcox are not really improving things I ask the vet to try him on Gabapentin.
Mt question is the dosage. The vet has given Harley 100mg twice a day. To me that seems a lot as he has not been diagnosed with anything yet?

This is the basic dose - as far as I know, gabapentin doesn't come in 50g! Also it is a pain control - it needs to be given continuously - not a pain killer for use when a pain episode occurs. 100g x 2 is the dose Clare Rusbridge suggests as a baseline. If Harley needs to have it more often (the average is every 8.5 hours, with individual dogs needing it less or more often either side of that), then it will be a bit of trial and error to find the right dose for him, even if it stays at 100g. Gabapentin is specifically for neurological pain - it won't do anything for more generalised pain. If gabapentin helps Harley, this could be an indication of CM problems at least. But the MRI should tell you and your vet how best to help Harley, and that's the most important thing.

Kate (and Oliver and Aled who come home tomorrow)

Yep....that is what Gracie gets too

But now in liquid form so slightly lower dose three times a day...about every 8 hours

Back