• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back to the vet.....it pays to be vigilent

meljoy

Leo has been very unsettled since last night. He's constantly nibbling at his back end and scratching with the occasional scoot. He would not settle, then he's been up since 6am constantly doing the same......very agitated....
I called the vet as I was worried about anal gland abscesses and he said bring him down.

Anyway his left gland was empty but his right one was full. The vet emptied it and said I was right to bring him in before it became impacted and then an abscess could develop.

Im so glad I did because he's a new boy now. Hasn't scratched or nibbled once since we got back.:)

It pays to be aware of any abnormalities at all times and act as promptly as possible.

I told him Ive been using oatbran and he said keep at it as its obviously helping!!

Good deal! Usually Rose has to have her hiney done by now (about every 4 to 6 weeks), and we added the oat bran about 2 months ago (it may have been longer, I'm not sure- I should have written it down :p), but other than an occasional scoot (as opposed to everyday, possibly several times a day and her washing, washing, washing her hiney), she hasn't had any issues. When I bathe her I check to see if they are full (I don't squeeze, I just check for fullness) and last week, I still couldn't feel anything, so YAY for oat bran so far. We get the official word about it working or not in Sept. (time for yearlies ;) ).

Yep....very good reminder

Before raw dog food diet, Gracie had this issues regularly. Very common to this breed.

Back