• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggy salon driers

galaxy66

We have been taking our Cavaliers to be pampered to the same groomers once a month for a bath for some years now and have been happy with the results, but I am now considering doing it myself because they no longer hand dry them. They have installed a drier which looks like an aquarium with hot air being blown through it, and i am not too happy seeing the dogs being dried in such a manner, apart from them looking so uncomfortable the boys no longer look as good as they used to on collection as their coat goes all curly especially the ears,
who sadly we lo
This is how Toby looked after being hand dried, he had a beautiful coat and was a real head turner but he is sadly no longer with us, his coat would not look anything like that if he had been placed in a drier!.

Blow dried Toby by laidbackman, on Flickr
Blow dried Toby by laidbackman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am bathing the boys myself at this very moment, 1 down one to go and pics of the diy job to follow.:)

WOW! What a stunning coat! He's an adorable Cavalier :)

I am lucky enough to not need a groomer at this point in time as molly still has very short fur!

What beautiful coat.
I totally agree, the coat dried in a drier looks awful and the dogs hate it and look very uncomfortable in one of them. I had Rosie in one of them once and she hated it and I would never put any of mine through that again. The groomer I go to now is great and she dry’s them with a hand drier and they look great.

Ah precious Toby, he was such a gorgeous dog :l*v: [I nearly managed to steal him one time :lol:]

I would not be happy having my dogs put into a drying cabinet - you don't get the same result, it's just sheer laziness on behalf of the groomer - it means they can do more dogs in a day as the drying takes a very long time.

There are mesh-type coats that you can buy to put on the dog whilst you dry them to keep their coat flat and straight which gives the best possible results [used by show people] http://www.drydogcoats.co.uk/Index.php/drying-coats/dog-drying-coat.html don't pull the ears through though or they stand out from the side of the head! you can put a small cut in the front so that you can pull it over and behind the ears.

I'm sure you will do a good job Mal - and the boys will probably be happier with you anyway. Make sure they are thoroughly dry before bedtime.

I only tend to bath mine every 3 months or so - unless they roll in something disgusting. They keep pretty clean with daily brushing, but with Tommy I do wipe him down underneath with a damp baby wipe every day, and then do a sponge wash underneath once a week, as he is a feather wetter :(

I look forward to the photos :snap::snap:

Back