• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kayleigh - MRI scan

You are right that people should know...

That CM alone can cause symptoms. One of my friends here just had her Brussell Griffon tested and had CM but not SM. This dog is in MUCH more discomfort than Gracie has ever been. I think it has had severe headaches but who knows???

Sweet Kayleigh looks alot like Gracie too... my husband looked at one of her calendar photos and said... "wow, she looks so much like her!" So here we are....doing the best we can for our "children."

I do have someone with a parent-tested Cavvie (age 1.5) who may offer her to us in a couple of months at the cost of a rescue. She was going to be a show dog but will not work out for that. However, very sadly her breeder (another person) stopped testing the parents after that litter because she has been convinced by other breeders that this is fruitless cause and no local vet school offering discounted MRIs for breeders. Makes me very sad that this is happening.

I do not know much about Zitac... look forward to learning more. I hope the meds are so helpful for Kayleigh and will prevent her from developing SM and relieve her current symptoms.

I am sitting reading this and I can’t help but cry. Everything makes me cry this week. I just read the lovely message you have send me about Harley and there you are thinking of me while you going through all this yourself again. My heart really goes out to you. You have been through so much this year with your own health and there you are travelling all that way on public transport. But like you said to me “you find a strength inside that you didn't know was even there. It's because we love them so much that we will go to the ends of the earth for them.
You, Keyleigh and your husband are in my thoughts.

:(
I was so sorry to hear of this devastating news. Your post, just as many others bring tears to my eyes and heartache to my soul for these wondeful dogs and there caring owners. I hope that she will do well on the gabapentin. My thoughts are with you and with others who have gone through a similar exprience.

Karen H

Oh Nikki,

I'm so sorry about Kayleigh. It's difficult coming to terms with something different and unknown. Having a symptomatic dog with CM isn't much different from having an SM dog with symptoms- apart from the fact that we can maybe prevent SM developing by giving something like Zitac.

Charlie too loves to run and is normally a very active boy but on his bad days he is very quiet and quite restless- it's also very interesting what you say about the chewies as Charlie really doesn't like anything thats too hard- even a dried Rabbits ear can't tempt him so he stick =s to the dried fish skin treats instead!

I hope you can get some releif for her!

Oh Nicki, I'm so sorry about Kayleigh. There's not much else to say. Whether it's CM or SM, our little dogs suffer so much. I can't imagine having my skull compressed and not having terrible headaches. I would surely want effective pain medication. I hope you can find a medication cocktail that works for your sweet little Kayleigh. Sending her hugs and kisses.

She has at least as many symptoms and obviously pain as some of mine who did have syrinxes. I think it is so important to get this message across, that, like humans, they can suffer from "JUST" the malformation.

I first heard about symptomatic CM through a blog that I have been following and I have posted this a couple of times about how important it is to think of the symptoms and to be supportive of all. I once said the following thing that is in this post that "that is so WONDERFUL there was no SM to another cavalier owner" yet to the person with a symptomatic CM cavalier that is devostating.

I admire this breeder/pet owner for speaking out about these questions (yet still supporting researchers and following protocols), helping organize scan days in Canada, being an educator to other pet owners and cavalier owners, and pretty much one of the best examples of what I would admire in a breeder of Cavaliers.

She explained some of the symptoms and if you are interested in learning about Mylee and her story, she may give some insight since she has been on helping Mylee with symptomtic CM for a couple of years (I think).

Mylee's Story:

http://embeecav.blogspot.com/2011/01/mylees-story-little-red-dog-and-chiari.html

http://embeecav.blogspot.com/2011/01/continuation-of-mylees-story-struggle.html

http://embeecav.blogspot.com/2011/01/cavaliers-chiari-malformation-and.html

I just want to say Nicki, that I hope that maybe you can find some comfort also in knowing that Dougall, Mylee, and all the other CM cavaliers that are symptomatic on the forum are now getting the treatment they need as I know Kayleigh will.

Thinking of you.

Nicki, I think you should be very proud. What you are doing as a breeder is SO much more than thousands (..if not more) of other Cavalier breeders out there. Even with A tested parents, there is always going to be the possibility of symptomatic offspring. At least cases like this help with studies, so we can only further understand what is going on with our breed.

So many of us look up to you, as I do. Dogs are our passion here, those that stick around and read each other's posts and care and support each other all genuinely want the best for each other and our dogs.

oh Nicki. I'm so sorry about this news, but what better people could she be with that with you guys! You are so brave and dedicated to travel like that to get her tested. You're in our thoughts and we know you'll get her the comfort and help she needs.:l*v:

Thank you everyone - we are blessed to have Kayleigh in our lives and she is teaching us so much - unfortunately her diagnosis means that my breeding program has currently come to an end :( . In addition to our concerns for Kayleigh this is such a disappointment as my plan was to breed healthy Cavaliers that people could enjoy as beloved companions. Maybe one day...I have been promised a Black and tan girl from a very special breeder who does all the health testing and follows the protocols - just have to wait for it to be the right time for us to introduce a new puppy to our household.

Oh my goodness Anne, thank you SO much for sharing that blog http://embeecav.blogspot.com/2011/01/mylees-story-little-red-dog-and-chiari.html

Mylee is a very loving little dog to those she knows, and is completely devoted to me.

She does not have the typical outgoing, friendly to all Cavalier personality. In fact she is incredibly reserved to those she doesn't know. She often shies away from a strangers touch, giving the impression she is not friendly or that she apprehensive. To strangers who know Cavaliers this always comes across as very strange. Is her temperament off? Was she not properly socialized? Why doesn't she want to say hi to me? Cavaliers should love everyone!

The truth is; Mylee is afraid that a strangers touch will hurt. She is afraid that you will touch her in the wrong spots. She doesn't trust that you know how to scratch her on her chest and back and leave her head and ears alone. She is afraid that you will hurt her.

Well she has just described Kayleigh - every word applies to her. We say that she goes up to people to show them how beautiful she is, but they're not allowed to touch her :( Just shows how much we are learning all the time...although my other affected Cavaliers were wary of touch, it was not to this extreme.

It makes me so sad hearing this Nicki, but I do understand. I know this is extremely difficult for you, and I pray that time will show something different for you.

Well she has just described Kayleigh - every word applies to her. We say that she goes up to people to show them how beautiful she is, but they're not allowed to touch her :( Just shows how much we are learning all the time...although my other affected Cavaliers were wary of touch, it was not to this extreme.

Not wanting to hijack your thread Nicki but this describes Misty too, but we've always put it down to her being a rescue. We believed that she maybe a bad experience that had made her head shy. More food for though.

Back