• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training Multiple Dogs

Nana26

How do you train multiple dogs?

I'm having a heck of a time taking them out on their leashes, I need an extra hand or 2 :)

extra hands would be great!!! hahaha. If you mean training as in obedience, each dog will need seperate training sessions to learn the command first, then you can do combined training, but seperate training must be continued for the dog to "remember" how to perform. If you just want them to walk nicely with you together-good luck-I have never been successful walking more than two...the third one always seems to weave the leashes.

The simplest way of walking two dogs is to put them on a coupler - a pair of short leashes joined together with a ring to which you attach one ordinary leash. You only have to use one hand and they can manoeuvre round each other without getting tangled up. They are not expensive, just Google 'dog coupler'. If you use the coupler in conjunction with harnesses, they walk very nicely together (though my two do get delusions of grandeur and think they are huskies!). I find the front clip harnesses much better for preventing pulling than the back clip ones.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS I think you can get triple 'couplers' for three dogs - otherwise two on a coupler and one on the other side should work. And if you couple a youngster to a steady older dog, the older teaches the younger to walk nicely.

Oh boy, two puppies at the same time is usually not recommended, although it is possible if you have the time! First, you want to be careful about how the two will bond with you. Often times puppies brought home together will bond more closely to each other, rather than their strongest bond being with you. This is why it is SO important that they are taken out seperately and spend plenty of time with you alone.

You will train them both the same, spend 10 minutes teaching one to sit, lay down, come, walk on the leash, etc, then alternate pups. I would also take them each to training classes alone. I was a trainer for 4 years and it was always very problematic having two puppies in the same class that lived together, they would whine and cry and not listen and not be interested the entire time we tried to separate up and practice, and then when reunited did nothing but try to get to one another.

Back