• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Cav and the Pussycat

Blueroses

I have a ten year old cat I have had from a Rescue centre since a kitten. He only has one third of a tail so is called Bobbit ( remember Wayne Bobbit? )
He can be a grumpy soul at the best of times, even with humans. Very much a 'leave me alone unless I want to come on your lap, and even then only stroke me if Im in a good mood' kind of a cat. Needless to say I was concerned about Alfie and the cat from the get go. Alfie has been with me 2 months now, and Bob has taken the huff, staying outside most of the time and even refusing to come in for meals if the puppy is close by. I gave him a 'safe' area with his own bed, and fed him well away from Alfie but the cat didn't want to know. I have taken things very slowly and carefully as I don't want Alfie's eyes damaged. Alfie was used to a cat at his breeder's home and just wants to play, but Bob has just hissed and fluffed up. Well this week there has been somewhat of a breakthrough, see pictures below..

Tentative approach

Will you play with me?

I wont bite you

Will you scratch me?

Oh bother he's off again

Maybe in the garden??

Asleep ( not exactly together )

Well, it's progress :lol:

Last edited:
What a great story told in pictures! Poor Alfie, he's so depressed. The cat better get with the program :lol:

Becky

Aw! I love how the pictures told a story, especially laughed at the one where Bob gives Alfie the bum's rush (titled 'Oh bother he's off again').
10 years is a big gap between them, but I'm sure they'll become friends sooner or later.

Alfie says 'fanks :eek:' for all your nice compliments....... Bob says 'huh.. mutter, mutter, darn little pip squeak'

This definitely looks like progress!!!! I have a four year old cat and a new puppy named Sonny and they both want to play with each other, but I can't tell if they are playing too rough. I feel like I am constantly refereeing little tussles. Did your cat and puppy ever wrestle around? If so how did you know when the playing became too rough??? Sonny is too young for socialization classes, so playing with my cat Nico has been his only play with other animals. I am hoping to start going to socialization classes in a couple of weeks for Sonny and hopefully that will help him learn about appropriate play....

It sounds to me as if your cat and puppy are sorting themselves out. :xfngr: My 2 have never played as you describe. If the puppy came anywhere near the cat, the cat would hiss and fluff himself up, and he has even taken a clawed swipe at the pup and made him run off yelping. I think my cat is probably a bit too old for boisterous play to be honest, but I would just be happy if he accepted and tolerated the pup. I think yours will do better than this :smile:

It just take time. Our cat was about 8 when Claire came here to live, and little by little he came around, and now he will actually let Claire rough house with him. Funny to watch.

I love the picture story.

Back