Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy owners I have a queston

Post Thanks / Like

I work part time and I am gone 3-4 hours at a time, but Sonny has done great! He goes into his crate and always settles right down and we have only had him a week! I think you should definitely be able to leave him for a couple of hours. It sounds like he gets lots of love and cuddles from you when you are home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vikki View Post
    I would go out as often as possible, so your pup knows when you leave it is no big thing and you will be back. you don't want a dog with separation anxiety for sure. when Maile was a pup I had to leave the house just so she could get some sleep. she followed me everywhere. the poor thing was dead tired, I thought she was asleep then I would tip toe to the bathroom and she would know somehow and drag herself to where I was. as was suggested a good long walk before you leave helps tire them out. I also give mine a treat before I leave. she gets very excited now for me to leave when she notices me getting dressed and closing the windows, she knows a goodie is right around the corner. try not to let that cute face make you feel guilty
    Oh, my goodness, I have the same problem. Bentley follows me from room to room, waking up at the slightest movement I make, but if I have him in his cage he does not notice my movements and will sleep for hours. I've also learned another way to get a "break" from him. Mornings are a little cooler now so he can be outside in his play yard (which is very large, by the way). He won't play if I'm not out there with him, which defeats the purpose, but if I just leave him he yelps, barks & whines for 5 minutes then just sits there waiting for me to come back. He never relaxes enough to sleep out there so after an hour or so I bring him in and he practically runs to his cage for a loonng nap! I love it, but now am dreading winter when it'll be too cold for him out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the advice. We moved my daughter this past weekend to her new apartment. We spent a good majority of time away from the house and Toby was left in his playpen/crate area. He did really well alone. He wasn't nuts but did want to play when we got back. We made up for it with a long walk after we got home. So I am feeling a lot better leaving him now.

Becky