• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy owners I have a queston

gamefanz

Toby is now a little over 4 months old. On weekends we leave Toby for maybe a few hrs to go out. Toby has now graduated from just the crate to crate and playpen access. He has his toys, water and a his crate for sleeping. He does well for those few hrs., no whining/barking or being wild when we get back. During the week it is just me here. I do leave to go grocery shopping or to the gym. I am still feeling trapped (for lack of a better word) at home because I feel guilty for leaving him. I want to go clothes shopping but I am afraid it would be longer than 2 hrs. I don't have anyone I can go to for dog sitting during the day.
So I am coming here to ask all puppy owners, how long during the day do you leave your puppy? When you come home do you find your puppy is wild or very whiny? I know puppies should not be alone all day but would like to know what everyone else does when they need "me" time.

Thanks
Becky

Well, there are people that have to work, so I would say 8 hours a day might be normal for some puppies. Personally I find four hours is long. I have a hard time leaving pups under 8 months more than a couple hours...but I am a stay-at-home mom so I do have some freedom this way. When I did work years ago, I only worked part time and the puppy was only alone for 5 hours max.

Thank you for the reply. I am a stay at home wife. I am finding though that I do need to get out more and I'm feeling a bit guilty. When you left your pup at home for 5 hrs did you find the pup was wild when you got home. Like it couldn't settle down or focus? Toby is playful but not so bad that he cannot focus. I don't want a wild dog LOL
Becky

Well, there are people that have to work, so I would say 8 hours a day might be normal for some puppies. Personally I find four hours is long. I have a hard time leaving pups under 8 months more than a couple hours...but I am a stay-at-home mom so I do have some freedom this way. When I did work years ago, I only worked part time and the puppy was only alone for 5 hours max.

At 4 months old I was leaving Coco alone for 4 hours max at a time. She was just fine :) During work we would come home for lunch to let her out, worked out perfect.

Thats good news! Glad to hear it worked out for Coco. I don't think I would need more than 4 hrs at a time but I do need to feel human LOL
I was even thinking of taking Toby to daycare. There is a place called Fido's farm here that I was thinking of. Here is the website:
http://www.fidosfarm.com/ I was thinking it would make a good place for him to meet other dogs, get worn out and give me a break but I worry its too much too soon. Not sure. My trainer HATES the idea of dog parks, I wonder what he would think of daycare. Hmmmmmmm:confused:

Becky

At 4 months old I was leaving Coco alone for 4 hours max at a time. She was just fine :) During work we would come home for lunch to let her out, worked out perfect.

Hi Becky

I haven't had a puppy in a while BUT I think we tend to forget just how long dogs sleep for every day. The main issue is potty breaks so if your Toby can lsat a few hours with out needing to go then he should be fine to be left for a few hours whilest you go out.

I work full time and have a dog walker come in half way through my 9 hour days to take them out but to be honest Ruby could easily go with out the excersie but she does need to loo and Charlie would tear my house apart if he didnt.

I would say that if you take him out for a good walk to wear him out then he will most probably sleep the entire time you are out and as for him going wild when you get in- that is a seperate issue!

If you fuss with him when you get home straight away while he is in an excited state then he will learn that he will get attention by being in that state of mind. However if you just wait a couple iof minutes (put the kettle on or go to the toilet) for him to calm a bit then he will learn that he gets his attention by being in that state of mind!

Hope this helps xxx

And just to add- there is nothing that will stop you feeling guilty about leaving him xxxxx

Thank you so much for the advice and pep talk, I really need to hear it from time to time. Toby will go all night without a potty issue so I know he can last for 4 hrs. I guess the solution for me is just to take him for a walk first then go. Usually when I come home, I either take a shower because of the gym or put groceries away so he is still in his playpen waiting. I just want to make sure that it is "the right thing to do or ok to do" if I go longer than 2 hrs. Knowing that many of you have done this, I do feel better about it.
Becky

I would go out as often as possible, so your pup knows when you leave it is no big thing and you will be back. you don't want a dog with separation anxiety for sure. when Maile was a pup I had to leave the house just so she could get some sleep. she followed me everywhere. the poor thing was dead tired, I thought she was asleep then I would tip toe to the bathroom and she would know somehow and drag herself to where I was. as was suggested a good long walk before you leave helps tire them out. I also give mine a treat before I leave. she gets very excited now for me to leave when she notices me getting dressed and closing the windows, she knows a goodie is right around the corner. try not to let that cute face make you feel guilty :)

That is so true. So far there is no anxiety when I leave. When my husband leaves in the morning though Toby will whimper for a second and then settle down. I am chopped liver though LOL
I have an issue with Toby sleeping during the day. He will fall asleep on the floor or couch and I will put him in his crate and shut the door. This way he is safe in his bed and I am able to move around the house without worry. He only sleeps for 45 min before he is awake and ready to play again. There is no 2 or 3hrs of sleep at a time in this house, not even after a walk. Maybe going out more will force him to sleep longer.
When we leave on weekends I give a kong with peanut butter, it lasts all of 5 min before its gone. I tried frozen squished banana in the kong but he had horrible gas with that. Still figuring out what works without gas LOL
Becky

I would go out as often as possible, so your pup knows when you leave it is no big thing and you will be back. you don't want a dog with separation anxiety for sure. when Maile was a pup I had to leave the house just so she could get some sleep. she followed me everywhere. the poor thing was dead tired, I thought she was asleep then I would tip toe to the bathroom and she would know somehow and drag herself to where I was. as was suggested a good long walk before you leave helps tire them out. I also give mine a treat before I leave. she gets very excited now for me to leave when she notices me getting dressed and closing the windows, she knows a goodie is right around the corner. try not to let that cute face make you feel guilty :)

I work part time and I am gone 3-4 hours at a time, but Sonny has done great! He goes into his crate and always settles right down and we have only had him a week! I think you should definitely be able to leave him for a couple of hours. It sounds like he gets lots of love and cuddles from you when you are home. :D

Oh, my goodness, I have the same problem. Bentley follows me from room to room, waking up at the slightest movement I make, but if I have him in his cage he does not notice my movements and will sleep for hours. I've also learned another way to get a "break" from him. Mornings are a little cooler now so he can be outside in his play yard (which is very large, by the way). He won't play if I'm not out there with him, which defeats the purpose, but if I just leave him he yelps, barks & whines for 5 minutes then just sits there waiting for me to come back. He never relaxes enough to sleep out there so after an hour or so I bring him in and he practically runs to his cage for a loonng nap! I love it, but now am dreading winter when it'll be too cold for him out there.

Thank you everyone for the advice. We moved my daughter this past weekend to her new apartment. We spent a good majority of time away from the house and Toby was left in his playpen/crate area. He did really well alone. He wasn't nuts but did want to play when we got back. We made up for it with a long walk after we got home. So I am feeling a lot better leaving him now. :)

Becky

Back