Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do your Cavs play fetch?

Post Thanks / Like

Rose LOVES fetch! I was trying to remember what I did, and I think it just came down to reaching for it and not making much effort (lol) and saying "I can't reach it" and then praising profusely when she either brought it or tossed it to me (though I'm not sure that was even needed in Rose's case, the ball getting tossed again immediately was probably enough of a reward, haha). If I put my hand out for it and say "I can't reach it" she'll put it in my hand like "THERE! NOW THROW IT ALREADY!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Fetch and WAR/ the Children toy theory..

Since Lucy was tiny, she's favored one type of toy above all else: the flossy chews (you know what I'm talking about, and if not, they're amazing- they keep her occupied and her teeth and mouth are so clean- every dog owner who's been close enough compliments her pearly whites!)

But back to the topic at hand- I learned early on that Lucy was motivated by more than fetching the toy; what clicked for her was making it a full contact sport (not literally!).

I throw the 'tug', and whenever she drops it like you say yours does, I try to appeal to her to get it, but if she doesn't, I make a playful sound and hurry towards the discarded toy. It's like magic (anyone who has ever dealt with a toddler who isn't interested in a toy until another child has it knows this effect. He doesn't want the fire truck- what do you mean she's playing with it, now?! THAT'S MY FIRE TRUCK!) She loves it! It keeps her involved that I'm involved, so her enthusiasm to bring it to me has grown exponentially.

That said, I'm sure I look quite ridiculous, running about, but the more I did it, the less I had to- if that makes sense..

Oh, and it helps that Lucy LOVES tug of war. I mean, LOVES.

She never plays fair, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Lyndsey loves to play fetch but she has never brought the toy back to me she just runs off and chews on it. She will be 12 in dec and she's a bit old to teach her new tricks so I just let her keep the toy.

Post Thanks / Like

This is funny because our Bobby is a natural-born fetcher. He sometimes brings the toy part of the way as well and we have to stand our ground for him to bring it all the way to us, sometimes he'll sit there and make a grunting noise and stamp his paw, as if to say 'Throw it!!'
    On the other hand, Belle is different. She wants you to throw the toy, she'll get and run away with it, all the while she wants you to chase HER! lol, it's funny, but she's done it eversince she was a pup... a game she invented and we play along since it's all for fun. The last year or so she doesn't play as often, but it's special when she does.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.