• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do your Cavs play fetch?

Zumie05

Just curious, because Coco absolutely goes bonkers for fetch! The only nuisance is that she will drop the toy half way back to me instead of bringing it all the way over!!!! Do your cavs bring the toy all the way back to you? If so, what did you do that I am not doing lol?!?

Toby is 4 months and still learning the ropes. He does fetch but all depends on his mood whether he returns it fully to me. We are working on "Thank you" meaning drop it. Sometimes he will bring it to me, I say Thank you and he drops it but most of the time he will only come half way back, then run with it in hopes that you run after him. If I have the treat bag he will surely bring it back to me and wait for a "thank you" then he will give it up so I can throw it again.
I often wonder how I get him to bring it all the way back to me each time without the treat bag.

Becky

Mika usually brings it all the way back to me, but every once in a while, she will drop it part way back. When she does that, I stand with my arms/hands out to the sides and ask, "Where is it?". Then she usually goes back to get it an bring it all the way to me.

Molly loves to chase after her toys when i throw them, then she brings them back to me so we can play tug-o-war! She never drops them for me unless i stop playing..but usually then she will bump me with the toy and wait until i grab the other end of it lol.

If I reward with treats Alfie ( 4 1/2 months ) will chase after anything I throw saying 'go fetch it '. As he picks it up I say 'bring it back then' and as he gets to me I say 'sit' then quickly 'give' . He will sit and drop it to the floor then. For treats this is word and action perfect. With no treats he will fetch and come back but usually not drop. The way to a man's heart is via his stomach eh? :lol:

Bentley seemed to learn this one on his own. When he was about 3-4 months old I noticed him just sitting in front of my chair, staring at me. I looked down and his toy was at my feet and I think he had brought it to me so I could toss it. He loves to play fetch and many times when he brings it back he'll keep it in his mouth wanting us to beg for it. We say, "You'd better drop it!" and that, in itself, becomes part of the game. It's all great fun!

Murphy doesn't do fetch.

Misty on the other hand is obsessed with fetch, we have to hide the tennis balls away out of reach when we're in the house, or she rips them up. When we go out into the field to play fetch she puts 110% into chasing the ball every time. She runs full pelt after it, her wee legs go ten to the dozen, it's quite funny.

I always praised Sophie for bringing the toy back to me. The payoff for her is the praise, and knowing I'll toss it again for her.

Rylie seemed to be born knowing the rules for fetch but I had to teach Max. I started in a small area and threw the ball/toy and gave him a treat when he returned it and threw it again. Once he learned that well inside we moved outside. When I thought he knew the game and he didn't bring the toy back the game was over. I'd pick it up and put it away.

Rose LOVES fetch! I was trying to remember what I did, and I think it just came down to reaching for it and not making much effort (lol) and saying "I can't reach it" and then praising profusely when she either brought it or tossed it to me (though I'm not sure that was even needed in Rose's case, the ball getting tossed again immediately was probably enough of a reward, haha). If I put my hand out for it and say "I can't reach it" she'll put it in my hand like "THERE! NOW THROW IT ALREADY!!" :lol:

Fetch and WAR/ the Children toy theory..

Since Lucy was tiny, she's favored one type of toy above all else: the flossy chews (you know what I'm talking about, and if not, they're amazing- they keep her occupied and her teeth and mouth are so clean- every dog owner who's been close enough compliments her pearly whites!)

But back to the topic at hand- I learned early on that Lucy was motivated by more than fetching the toy; what clicked for her was making it a full contact sport (not literally!).

I throw the 'tug', and whenever she drops it like you say yours does, I try to appeal to her to get it, but if she doesn't, I make a playful sound and hurry towards the discarded toy. It's like magic (anyone who has ever dealt with a toddler who isn't interested in a toy until another child has it knows this effect. He doesn't want the fire truck- what do you mean she's playing with it, now?! THAT'S MY FIRE TRUCK!) She loves it! It keeps her involved that I'm involved, so her enthusiasm to bring it to me has grown exponentially.

That said, I'm sure I look quite ridiculous, running about, but the more I did it, the less I had to- if that makes sense..

Oh, and it helps that Lucy LOVES tug of war. I mean, LOVES.

She never plays fair, either. :lol:

:D My Lyndsey loves to play fetch but she has never brought the toy back to me she just runs off and chews on it. She will be 12 in dec and she's a bit old to teach her new tricks so I just let her keep the toy.

This is funny because our Bobby is a natural-born fetcher. He sometimes brings the toy part of the way as well and we have to stand our ground for him to bring it all the way to us, sometimes he'll sit there and make a grunting noise and stamp his paw, as if to say 'Throw it!!'
On the other hand, Belle is different. She wants you to throw the toy, she'll get and run away with it, all the while she wants you to chase HER! lol, it's funny, but she's done it eversince she was a pup... a game she invented and we play along since it's all for fun. The last year or so she doesn't play as often, but it's special when she does.

Back