• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much water does your dog drink a day?

pkt89

My dog does not drink much daily, about 10oz. For the last few days, he only wants small ice cube and not water. Just wonder how others are doing?
Kitty

Our cavalier drinks less than that per day, but she is fed raw and gets a lot of her water intake from the food. Kibble eaters will drink more water.

Our cavalier drinks less than that per day, but she is fed raw and gets a lot of her water intake from the food. Kibble eaters will drink more water.

Thanks. Mine eats dehydrated food called Sojo, I soak it with water (a lot) overnight and add cooked chicken. I think that is why he does not drink much.

I used to worry about this....

But unless Gracie gets really hard stools or shows signs of dehydration (sticky gums, skin losing elastricity, etc.) then I do not worry about it. She has always been more active at night and drinks more water after 4 pm anyway. With her, a little bit of crushed ice or adding a tiny bit of apple juice to her water has helped encourage more consumption.

But unless Gracie gets really hard stools or shows signs of dehydration (sticky gums, skin losing elastricity, etc.) then I do not worry about it. She has always been more active at night and drinks more water after 4 pm anyway. With her, a little bit of crushed ice or adding a tiny bit of apple juice to her water has helped encourage more consumption.

Thanks so much for the info.
My Bee does not drink until late afternoon and he likes to chew crushed ice and not drink water. I thought some thing wrong with him.

As this thread isn't related to SM or MVD I have moved it from that forum to the general health and diet forum. (y)

PS perhaps worth noting that many vets advise against dogs eating a lot of ice -- can crack their teeth and cubes are a potential choking hazard.

I would think that crushed ice would still be okay.

I use to have a cat that wanted his water ice cold, and I had to change it out quite a few times a day to get him to drink. My dogs have always been decent drinkers. The hotter it is of course, the more i see the consumption go up.

I agree on the ice...

We have an ice shaver so it is very finely shaved....like for an snow cone. I just add some to her regular water and she drinks more of it. I also do not recommend giving them larger or hard ice cubes.

Back