• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reaction to vaccination???

ashleighelizabeth

Has anyone ever had their puppy have a reaction to a vaccination? My puppy had a DHPP vaccination and a dewormer pill at around 4:00 pm today. It has been 5 hours and my puppy is very hyperactive and aggressive tonight. We have tried running him around outside several times. He can't seem to settle down. I have heard of dogs being lethargic after vaccinations, but not hyperactive. Any help is much appreciated.....h*lp. He appears to be breathing fine and isn't swelling at all, but he just can't seem to settle down.

The aggression may be because he is in pain. My puppy got sa bit snappy when he got his vaccinations because the area around the vaccination site was sore.

I have no experience with a reaction causing hyperactivity, however i DO have experience with a slightly hyperactive puppy!
and he remained hyperactive after all his vaccinations and even after his surgery to be neutered! That was a biut of a problem!!

Good luck !

Sorry to hear this - yes he may be sore but PLEASE at least telephone your vet - personally I would go back to see them as soon as possible. It seems too much of a coincidence that something else may be the cause. If they do agree it's the vaccination [I presume he has had the worming tablets without problems preciously?] then ask them to submit it as a reaction to the vaccine company, as well as treat your puppy appropriately.

Do you use a crate or puppy pen? Try putting him in there with a chewy of some kind - a stuffed kong or similar. DO hope he will be ok soon.

Thank you both for your replies. I plan on calling my vet first thing this morning when they open. My puppy has had the dewormer and DHPP shot at 7 weeks (when still at breeder and with a different vet), so that was why I thought it was so weird that he was acting strangely when he had not had a reaction before. Anyways, Sonny appears to be back to his old self this morning. He woke up an hour and a half earlier than he usually does, but I'm thinking that he might just have had a lot of stored up energy, especially since we didn't get as much afternoon play time in yesterday because of the vet visit.

Nicki-I do use a crate and he actually put himself in it last night with a toy, it's like he knew he needed to calm down. Such a funny, little baby.:)

Thanks again guys for the advice, I truly appreciate it. Sonny is my first puppy and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for the little guy.

All good advice above. But I would also add that this may well just be coincidence, and that you may just be seeing a far more active but entirely normal puppy–a puppy that is just a few weeks older would be significantly more active and “aggressive”, assuming you mean more nippy and pushy and confident. This is exactly the age at which you start to have a lot more challenge with teaching bite inhibition, and it also is quite normal for puppies to be both pushy and outgoing when at play. This is not aggressiveness–it is actually extremely rare for a puppy to be aggressive rather than just exhibiting normal puppy behaviors. :) It is our task as owners to gently shape and modify behavior–which luckily, is very easy to do at this stage because puppies are so highly trainable.

See: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/developmental-priorities

Also if you haven't gotten this free download book, which will really help give a perspective on behavior and excellent guidelines on shaping a young puppy through positive training, be sure to! http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy

it can be really hard for owners to tell what is normal behavior–especially as no puppy remains the same, and most puppies will go from a fairly sleepy and gently playful baby into an increasingly active, pushy, and challenging individual (much like children! :lol:). It is really important for owners to understand this is not bad behavior or aggression–it is normal behavior but requires an owner's gentle shaping hand, and especially, lots of socialization to people and other animals and especially other dogs. :)

Thanks Karlin. I am reading through both links right now. I think that it probably was just a coincidence that he was more playful and energetic last night. Aggressive was not the right choice of word. Relentless maybe would be a better description.;) Thank you everyone for all of the great advice. I am eagerly reading "AFTER YOU GET YOUR PUPPY" link and getting lots of great tips.

Back