• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

chihuahua with syringomyelia

Margaret C

http://clarerusbridge-news.blogspot.com:80/2011/08/story-of-lady-chin-uma-thurman.html

"That is why I do recommend MRI scanning for all breeders world wide -that is only way to determine if the dog has syringomyelia. It is condition among all the other diseases which we should take seriously."

"At least if your toy dog is scratching a lot, she has unwillingness to move in stairs or some balancing problems with limbs -it would be better to take your dog to neurologist."

Our friends in Kansas have a Yorkie with SM!

So it is definitely not something restricted just to Cavaliers.

Not surprised - some chihuahua breeders seem to take for granted that their dogs will have enlarged fontenels and some degree of hydrocephalus - the latter often a symptom of CM, so SM is a logical step, as being effectively another symptom of CM. Cavaliers, Griffons, Papillons, Chihuahuas - this disease is far wider than simply the result of inbreeding in Cavaliers. I hope the chihuahua clubs will take this news seriously. But it's all so sad - all these little dogs suffering...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I remember when I first heard of SM, after getting Claire, and reading that any toy breed can develop it, but currently Cavaliers have the largest numbers of dogs affected.

Thanks for sharing this Margaret.

Back