Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 Supplements

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Omega 3 Supplements

Hi

While Daisy was with the Cavalier Club Cardiologist Mr Swift last week having her heart check he advised supplementing
    with a good Omega 3 ,which we already do thank to Pat's advice previous advise,but he also stressed that the Omega 3 should contain
    certain levels of DHA/EPA .He is going to check it for me and email when found .The Omega 3 I currently give the girls
    is from Puritans Pride and has high levels of DHA/EPA .

http://www.puritanspride.co.uk/omega...ku-017132.html

This is a good article re Cavalier Heart disease its causes and treament.

http://www.2ndchance.info/conghtfaildog.htm

And this is interesting regarding nutritional needs .

http://dels-old.nas.edu/banr/briefs/...tion_final.pdf
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian

When I emailed Simon with a query about Omega 3, he recommended Cardigard. I googled it to discover its levels of DHA/EPA, blinked at the price and then worked out that 2 x 1000mg capsules would give more or less the same amounts (a fraction less, but still high doses) for about a quarter of the price from Simply Supplements. 3 months' supply for both dogs costs just under 10. The capsules are big but both my boys wolf them down with their supper with no problem. Capsules seem to be the best way of giving Omega 3 - apparently the oil starts deteriorating as soon as you open the bottle.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Kate

Agreed ,he doesnt say that the quantities have to be in one capsule ,his words were .Cardiguard and Gomega are veterinary supplements
    with the correct balance of EPA and DHA and that a diet that is moderately restricted in sodium and supplemented with Omega 3 fatty
    acids may help reduce progression .
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about starting Martha on Salmon fish oil as people say good things about this, and it has omega 3 in it. What do people think? Especially as you Kate say that the oil can start to deteriorate once the bottle is opened. I guess this will apply to the salmon fish oil as well?

I feel it's a minefield, as I've been told that buying anything in capsules is much more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Davecav have a look at http://www.healthspark.co.uk/omega-3...FQVTfAodAlJhLQ

they contain 300 mg in one capsule which is acceptable.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

The fish oil debate makes my head spin....it seems everything I read has a different opinion. I just decided to give human grade capsule. I thought this was better than nothing and it was easy for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinekisses View Post
    The fish oil debate makes my head spin....it seems everything I read has a different opinion. I just decided to give human grade capsule. I thought this was better than nothing and it was easy for me.
    Mine too. I have given one 1000 mg capsule to each of mine except Holly for years. Four out of my five have cardio tested clear hearts, ranging in age from almost 3 years to 5. The exception is Rebel, who has a discernable murmour, not requiring treatment and he is almost 9 years old. I usuallly buy mine from ZipVit when they have a 2 for the price of 1 offer, making them very innexpensive.

Vitamin e is good for hearts too. I give one 259g capsule daily to each dog.Because of her illness Holly has 1 vitamin e capsule a day and 5 mgs of Yumega Oil on her food each night, but no Omega 3.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have read elsewhere (here in the U.S.) that the fish oil deteriorates as soon as the bottle is opened. I use the gelcaps for Sophie, pierce them, and squeeze the oil on to her food. She won't eat the capsule, while our last dog would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Mr Swifts advice was Omega3 with a high level of EPA and DHA the exact levels he is going to advise but probaly a minimum of 300mg .No mention
    of Omega 6 nor Cod liver Oil so a lot of what we give is not up to standard .I am also waiting his further advice on giving dogs frusemide if they suffer
    from SM and then go on to develop a heart murmur as he thinks then frusemide may not be the best option due to its stimulation of certain hormones
    which are counter productive to a healthy heart ,on this fact he is going to ask other cardiologists opinions both in the UK and the USA then advise me of the concensus.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Davecav wrote: I've been told that buying anything in capsules is much more expensive.

I've found the opposite in the UK. It's worth looking at the online pharmacies such as Simply Supplements, Hyperdrug and the one Brian mentioned. For one dog you'd probably get a 6-months' supply for around 10. Also have a look at Cardigard and note its levels of DPA/EHA, then see which of the human pills will replicate this for a lot less cost (Cardigard for my two would have cost over 20 for 2 months, whereas Simply Supplements, with a 2 for 1 offer, gives me 3 months supply for under 10). Thay also do the oil, so you could compare prices.

Kate, Oliver and Aled