Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega 3 Supplements

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any idea what would be the best option in the USA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I think there's very little difference as long as you use a decent, known brand. I buy them when they are 2 for 1 or on discount, like Kate, as I take them myself, and give the same ones to the dogs. It is worth watching to see if the dog is OK on such a high dose (given size of the dog, 1000mg is fairly high) -- Omega 3 does cause vertigo and dizziness/low level nausea in some people (me included, at high doses -- I had to halve what I was taking). If I were in the US I'd get them at Costco or one of the big chains or GNC (or whatever that big vitamin chain is) when on sale. They are always going on 2 for 1 or half off specials.

Eevery capsule of 1000mg omega 3 has 300 mg of the specific elements mentioned by Kate as far as I can see, so i think that is the norm anyway at 1000mg. All pretty much the same. Hence get them on specials -- you read a lot of hogwash about special quality on some of the websites selling supplements when actually they pretty much all filter the oils, have those levels of specific elements etc once you read the small print on bottles. Even Tesco own brand has all that.

There are other sources for oils than fish, too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not giving my dogs Omega 3 supplements specifically for their hearts since only Oz has a murmur and his is congenital and his cardiologist does not put him at greater risk for developing MVD that any other cavalier. But I do give them Omega 3 for their coats. Riley is on daily prednisone for her SM and one of the side effects is that she started losing all of her fur on her belly and tail. I was giving her the Omega 3 1000mg from Puritan's Pride but it didn't help at all. When I switched to wild, deep sea Salmon Oil from Wholistic Pet Organics she grew back all of her belly fur and her coat is longer and silkier than it was before. Unfortunately her tail didn't grow back. It has 300 mg of total Omega 3 fatty acids and costs $20 for 100 capsules, so not particularly cheap, but it works for what I wanted. The website in case anyone is interested is www.WholisticPetOrganics.com They are in New Hampshire, but I can get it at my local pet store.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I had a reply from Daisy's cardiologist Mr S. Swift and he advised as below ref the DPA/EHA levels.

" I checked the paper and the dose of Omega 3 fatty acids is quoted as “a dose of 40 mg/kg EPA and 25 mg/kg DHA for both dogs and cats with cardiac disease”. The exact formulation, i.e. capsules or a bottle, is not important but be aware that omega 3 FA is easily oxidised so either use capsules or a special pump with an inner container that collapses like Cardiguard "

I also phoned and spoke to him with ref to Daisy taking 5 mg of Frusemide for her SM and his concern this
    drug may have on her heart with her now having a Grade 2 murmur ,he advised he was still awaiting full response from his other cardiologist colleagues both in the UK and the US though there is a conference that he is in attendance this week where he will raise the question again so I should have more news shortly .If he does advise that Daisy should take Fortekor to counter the effects of the Frusemide I will then seek further opinion off MR S. to see if Daisy can take another similar drug other than Frusemide .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are actually lots of alternatives to frusimide. I would be very interested in hearing back what he says about concerns on heart issues, as if there are actually concerns, then they should be flagged generally to neurologists who often prescribe that particular drug. I use cimetidine; many use omaprazole, and there are several other choices that all do the exact same thing. Sometimes one works better for a dog than others. I don't like frusimide myself because it causes the dogs to need to pee, and therefore is more of a hassle to give. Some dogs have incontinence problems when they are taking it–Leo did so I stopped giving it pretty quickly. I've only used it since for dogs that need it for heart issues.

Thanks for getting more information on this issue from Mr. Swift.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com