• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vet checks for high profile breeds at Crufts 2012 - But not the Cavalier

Sabby

There are 15 breeds that are going to be checked for health and would you believe it the Cavalier is not on the list. WHY? Is the KC saying the Cavalier has not got any health problems? I think the Cavalier is a breed with the most health problems. Mind you a Judge would never see if a dog has SM unless it sratches itself to death in the show ring.

Vet checks for high profile breeds at Crufts 2012 and Championship Shows thereafter | Crufts present
www.crufts.org.uk

At the recent meeting to discuss the BVA/KC MRI Scheme I was talking to a KC representative about this.

The 15 at risk breeds all have exaggerated faults that can be easily seen. The Cavalier's problem is not obvious to the naked eye.

I do however believe that the Cavalier should be added to that list. No Best of Breed winner should be allowed to go on to the next stage of judging for the best in the group unless they have a MRI certificate.

To bring about change in our breed health needs to be as important as beauty in the show ring

But you can't just say 'they must be able to produce an MRI certificate' - Oliver has an MRI certificate - it says he has SM! You would need to say 'An MRI certificate that shows the dog is Grade A' or something similar. which raises the issue of the acceptability of Grade Ds. And the fact that a winnng dog is an A at 3 years old says nothing about him developing a syrinx at 6 years old and being a carrier in the meantime. A clear current heart certificate is easier, of course.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Whaty about a dog that is less than 2.5yrs old who has won - he or she wouldn't have a scan or even if they did it wouldn't be valid - so are you saying that a dog can't win until he or she is over that age and they have a clear scan? In which case no-one will show their dogs until then - maybe you want that to happen?

Can of worms ?

I don't know about showing as I've only gone to a couple of shows to watch, and lots of local fun shows, but if you do that to cavaliers, then all other breeds have to comply with similar very strict health criteria - you can't just do it to cavailers

for example hip displasia with labrador type breeds, cancer with other breeds, not to mention breathing problems etc

Whaty about a dog that is less than 2.5yrs old who has won - he or she wouldn't have a scan or even if they did it wouldn't be valid - so are you saying that a dog can't win until he or she is over that age and they have a clear scan? In which case no-one will show their dogs until then - maybe you want that to happen?

Can of worms ?

I don't know about showing as I've only gone to a couple of shows to watch, and lots of local fun shows, but if you do that to cavaliers, then all other breeds have to comply with similar very strict health criteria - you can't just do it to cavailers

for example hip displasia with labrador type breeds, cancer with other breeds, not to mention breathing problems etc

Exactly. I don't even know where to begin.

Let me ask this. Would it just be confirmation because people think more are concerned with beauty? That wouldn't be fair, would it? So then those with SM could not compete in agility, obedience, etc? The thing is its not the showing, its the breeding.

Kate mentioned hearts. Right so why are we always talking about restricting for mri? We know a cavalier graded a D CAN be bred to an older A and we or I know of A scans that should not be bred b/c of symptomatic CM.

Let's forget mri grades, sm, heart certificates. Why if a cavalier has been used for underage breeding not be the focus instead of all of this? There is no reason for that. Sure I've heard of the occasional unexpected breeding, but underage breeding would comply to all things.

Should griffons, pomeranians, chihahaws (can't spell) also show mri certificates or should we just focus on underage breeding? Why does the KC if they are so focused now on these things still register litters that are from parents way underage?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

But you can't just say 'they must be able to produce an MRI certificate' - Oliver has an MRI certificate - it says he has SM! You would need to say 'An MRI certificate that shows the dog is Grade A' or something similar. which raises the issue of the acceptability of Grade Ds. And the fact that a winnng dog is an A at 3 years old says nothing about him developing a syrinx at 6 years old and being a carrier in the meantime. A clear current heart certificate is easier, of course.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Well actually you can just say they must have a MRI certificate. Alternatively you could ask for MRI scans that show both parents were scanned.

The KC intends the vet checks before group judging to put pressure on breeders to improve the health of 'At Risk' breeds.

I think the prospect of needing to produce a certificate that could show their Championship BOB winning dog has SM, even if asymptomatic, will make show breeders concentrate a great deal more on producing cavaliers that are healthy as well as beautiful.

When we get the so important official standardised MVD Scheme, which has been on hold while the breeder objections to the MRI scheme have been sorted, then a MVD certificate can be added to the requirements.

And for those arguing you cannot just do this for Cavaliers, the KC has done it to 15 other breeds and could choose to add the cavalier if the prevalence of SM ( 70% at age 6 years ) is thought to put their future at risk.

Back