Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daisy's MRI Scan - Where Do I Send

Post Thanks / Like

So how is this going to work for me as my KC papers are still in my breeder’s name? I never had them transferred to me as I saw no point in this. Suppose the KC registration number is enough?

And I got no scan certificate. All I got is a report as in Ebony's case they were scanning for something else and the CM/SM showed on the scan. The same in Harley's case.
    Last edited by Sabby; 5th September 2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do not think they are taking the entire scan CD because they are not doing the assessment of scans themselves. They need dogs that are registered to a national kennel club, and identifiable by number, and ideally micro-chipped and therefore traceable. The best thing to do if you have only a scan, and no certificate from a neurologist with the scan report, is e-mail the researchers using the e-mail address that Sins provided above.

I am sure they will be interested in having the information, but the best thing to do is to ask them directly what they wish to receive. It may be that all they need is the actual write up the neurologist did from the scan, but they will also need a dog's registration number, pedigree information (e.g. registered name), and ideally microchip. Dogs that are not registered through a national kennel club are unfortunately not of use for the EBV scheme.

My understanding is that they would in particular appreciate scans of dogs that actually have SM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sabby, you don't need the actual papers–you just need the registration number and also, the microchip number if there is one, and you need to be able to give the dog's registered name, date of birth, etc. Just drop the researchers a note at the e-mail address mentioned, and I am sure they can give you the details of what they would like to have.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Incidentally, you can see why a standardized MRI scheme such as that proposed by the BVA/KC, is so badly needed for the EBV's. Right now, many centers only indicate whether there is a syrinx or not, Whereas there is so much other information that is important, including whether the dog is symptomatic. Only a handful are using the formal grading scheme. The new scheme takes into account CM as well.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian as far as I know Chestergates never give owners the actual scans on CD -- unless this has very recently changed. They had been the only centre internationally that I know of that did not give owners a CD (I have requested them to no avail and have had 6 scans done there myself). It would be very welcome if this has changed. They do give an xray sheet of key scan images but this isn't adequate in detail for anyone else to evaluate the scan for research (ie at the level of detail researchers need -- though the basics, and whether the dog has a syrinx or not, are generally clear and obvious).
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks Karlin ,I am sure Rosie got a CD off Martin but will check and come back .Sorry for another
    question but for Daisy I had a letter stating the diagnosis but nothing that looks like a certificate .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian I don't know what exactly they want -- you really need to just email Sarah Blott at the address Sins gave you as none of us here are directly involved with the scheme or aware of their exact requirements.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I can confirm from direct inquiry to the researchers, however, that Stone Lion Vet Center in Wimbledon–where Clare Rusbridge works–routinely submits all scans, so if your scan was done there, you do not need to double check whether it has been sent.
    I can confirm that all scans performed at other MRI centres for which Clare Rusbridge "reports" for the MRI certificate, are also automatically sent to the EBV.

Maggie

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I was getting Brian confused! Chestergates use sedation-only for the mini-scans they do for the breed clubs (which is what Oliver has had twice); for longer, more comprehensive scans, they give anaesthetic.

Kate, Oliver and Aled