• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

manly

maggie harris

Hi i am anew member,so not sure how to use this site but here goes, i have just bought a cavelier pup,well hes 5 months old now. we got him from essex,along way from leamington spa, where i live... i found getting in touch with so many breeders was a mind feild,some very rude, on the subject of SM. I felt lucky enough to get in touch with margaret carter,who has breed for over 20 yrs, and told me all about SM and MRI scaning, i also watched a video and saw for myself what happens to a dog with SM, I was shocked to say the least, and very worried about buying a pup, luck had it i found two breeders that tested the parents, after the age of 2 and a half years. even its its not full proof, i have done my best,to find a good breeder that supplies healthy pups, we now have Manly, and he,s a pleasure to have,being our first pup. i would now fully recommend any new buyer,to research SM,. and go for a breeder that has both parants been tested,or at the very least one parant tested.Alot of breeders will say,as yet the results of SM, is not full proof,so untill it is i dont need to test my dogs ,my puppies are healthy,i have now met quite alot of breeders that have SM dogs,which cannot be bred from, keeping them alive,is a very exspensive and distressing for the owners, my advice would be reseach SM first,befor buying.
on a brighter note, is anyone on this site that lives in leaminton spa???
regards to all
maggie

Welcome Maggie,icon_welcome and very well done in doing so much research before you bought your new puppy.

I would really like to thank you for being brave enough to ask the questions and then walk away when the answers showed breeders had not done all they could to produce the healthy puppies.

It is pet owners like you that will bring about change.

Delighted to think you have joined CavalierTalk and looking forward to seeing some photos.

icon_welcome to the Forum

Congratulations on your puppy. I am so pleased that you done your research and bought from a Breeder that scans their dogs for SM. If every puppy buyer would be like that half the battle against SM would be already won. As you probably already noticed they are the most loving dogs you could find.
I am in Leicester so not too far away. Leaminton Spa is lovely.

Wow, good for you being so thorough, and supporting a breeder who is doing something to try to head our breed in the right direction.

Looking forward to getting to know you and Manly. BTW, love that name.

Back