Thread: Paw Wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paw Wax?

Has anyone ever used paw wax to help their dog from slipping on wood/tile floors? Sydney has bad arthritis in his spine and is really having problems getting up and down. He's also slidding a little when he walks. I'm afraid he may really hurt himself. I don't think he'd keep non slip booties on.

Would appreciate your opinions or other ideas.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Hi we have wooden floors too,i to worry about slipping,all i do to help is keep the hair around the paws trimmed very short and tight,its when the hair grows they slipp more,when its short its alot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Also u could put mats down,there are some real funky ones,this would really help.

Post Thanks / Like

My Sister has a Greyhound and wooden floors!! She uses the paw wax and finds it very useful. Can be a nuisance to clean though.
    I dont use it on Leo (we have wooden floors too) as Im sure he'll spend all his time licking it off.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

We've discussed this before in the past. It's my strong opinion that if you have an elderly dog and smooth flooring, you should cover the floors in the rooms where your dog spends his/her time with temporary carpeting. It's just too much to ask an elderly dog to cope with smooth floors along with everything else they must deal with on a daily basis when life is so much easier for them with carpeted floors.

For almost all of my elderly dogs, I've gone to Home Depot or Garden Ridge and purchased inexpensive room sized bound carpeting to put in my kitchen so that my teenaged dogs could navigate better. When the dogs are gone, I either trash the rugs or if they are still in reasonable shape I store them in the basement until I need them again. I currently have a 14 year old shih tzu who has no problems in the kitchen - perhaps because she is so small - but if I see any signs of her slipping, I'll cover up the floor again. I've had to do it for all ten of my past Cavaliers. This is another reason that I've kept carpeting in the family room and my bedroom rather than changing to hardwood floors.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Can be a nuisance to clean though.

I dont use it on Leo (we have wooden floors too) as Im sure he'll spend all his time licking it off.
    That's exactly what I was afraid of!

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    We've discussed this before in the past. It's my strong opinion that if you have an elderly dog and smooth flooring, you should cover the floors in the rooms where your dog spends his/her time with temporary carpeting. It's just too much to ask an elderly dog to cope with smooth floors along with everything else they must deal with on a daily basis when life is so much easier for them with carpeted floors.

For almost all of my elderly dogs, I've gone to Home Depot or Garden Ridge and purchased inexpensive room sized bound carpeting to put in my kitchen so that my teenaged dogs could navigate better. When the dogs are gone, I either trash the rugs or if they are still in reasonable shape I store them in the basement until I need them again. I currently have a 14 year old shih tzu who has no problems in the kitchen - perhaps because she is so small - but if I see any signs of her slipping, I'll cover up the floor again. I've had to do it for all ten of my past Cavaliers. This is another reason that I've kept carpeting in the family room and my bedroom rather than changing to hardwood floors.

Pat
    My family room is half tile and half carpet. All bedrooms are carpeted. The hallways and kitchen are hardwood. I do take precautions in the kitchen when eating. I put a large mat down where Sydney eats so he doesn't slide while eating. I also have a mat under his water bowl, so again, he is standing on that rather than tile and doesn't slide.

I'm going to look into a runner for the hallways and the tile part of the family room to help him. He certainly doesn't need any more ailments if I can prevent it!

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have used paw wax when showing on a slippery surface, but not sure whether it would be long lasting enough for use at home.

As a temporary measure some exhibitors use Coca Cola or similar smeared on their dog's pads to give extra purchase on a slippery floor. I would think most dogs would enjoy licking that off.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I treated my kitchen lino [which was supposed to be non-slip but is useless ] with this stuff http://www.floorsafedirect.co.uk/paw...litre-60-p.asp

It seems pretty effective so far, been down about a month. I notice the difference when walking across the floor, you seem to adhere to it slightly! The dogs are better on it too.

I think it would really help older dogs - it's not perfect, if you have really manic dogs think they will still slide a bit, maybe it needs another coat?

Pat is right though if they can't manage even on a treated floor then it is much kinder to put temp carpets or secure rugs down.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org