• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lameness in sm dogs

cavluvver

Hi everyone haven't been on for a while but been dealing with the fact that my oldest son has a thyroid tumour although it is looking like it is benign from scan etc. we are still waiting for his date for surgery to remove it and maybe the whole thyroid. I have noticed that my Rossi has been limping a lot lately on his front right leg. He has done this in the past but infrequently andof a short duration. I just put it down to his sm as we checked his foot and leg and never found anything and he would be bounding around an hour or so later. But over the last couple of weeks he has been doing it a lot and has been limping most of the day yesterday and this morning. I was wonderin if anyone elses sm dog does this and should I be taking him to the vets to be checked out?:confused:

My Harley has just been diagnosed with SM and all he does is limp. He has been limping constantly for a month and before that it was on and off. I would have thought if your dog in on medication for SM that would stop the limping.

Sorry to hear this - especially the news about your son, such a difficult time for you all.

The limping can be a symptom of SM and the fact that is getting worse is concerning - is Rossi under the care of a neurologist? If so, I would contact them as soon as possible as his medication may need adjusting - I presume he is on medication? If not, download the treatment algorithm from http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/ [syringomyelia, downloadable pdfs] and take that into your vet.

In the meantime I would rest him, no running, no jumping [on and off of furniture etc], outside on a lead only for potty breaks.

Write down what you are seeing, to take with you - when you have a lot going on it's hard to remember everything.

Nick gave great advice ....

Important to get him checked out and get guidance on his meds. It could be something else but best to find out how to best help him. I am sorry you are dealing with so many scary things at one time.

One of Oliver's first obvious symptoms of his SM was stumbling on his right front leg - not regular lameness but tripping going up and down kerbs, and favouring it when walking on rough tussocky grass. His neurologist found that he had lost feeling in his nerves in that leg - I think he didn't trust it to support him, which is why he stumbled. The stumbling has completely disappeared since he's been on gabapentin.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks everyone for your replies. Rossi is on gabapentin 3 times a day and I have metacam if he has a bad day. I think I will get him checked out just to make sure it isn't anything other than sm and I will ring the neurologist to get his view too. It really helps to know I am not alone out here:)

You're definitely not alone...sadly so many of us have either dealt with this in the past or are currently doing so :(

I would ask the neurologist if they can put Rossi onto one of the CSF reducing medications, Clare Rusbridge recommends Zitac [Cimetidine] as it is gentle for long term use.

Back