• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and Noses- Does Form Lessen Function??

hazelpseudoblue

Hey All!

I wanted to ask/ start a discussion about Cavaliers- specifically their cute little noses.

Since I got Lucy, I've become increasingly aware that something was wonky with her sense of smell. It wasn't blatantly obvious- but it does manifest itself in little hints.

For instance, even as a pup, it was very hard to get her interested in her food. We tried everything - finally, in an act of quiet desperation, I scoop some of her food out of her bowl with my hand, and held it right under her nose. She sniffed and something seemed to click in her brain; it seemed as though she was just recognizing that what was in that bowl was, in fact, food. Once she realized it, she attacked the kibble with enthusiasm.

Another clue was the fact that, if I were to toss her a treat for following a command outside, and it bounced out of her sight, she could not sniff it out.

It's not that Lucy doesn't have a sense of smell- it just seems to be very, very weak- especially compared to, say, any other dog my family has had in the past which included a labradoodle, a german shepherd, basset hounds, and, most recently, a corgi.

Is this a common trait for Cavaliers? I've heard a theory that their shortened snouts could cause problems like this, but I'm interested to know if there's any truth to that, at all (I mean, you never know how reliable any source or person can be, right?)

Does anyone else here have a Cav with a less than impressive sense of smell?

It's not interfering with her life, other than the fact that sometimes it is still pretty hard to get her interested in food, but I was just wondering whether this is common or not.

Thanks!

Not with Coco, she has the most amazing sense of smell and I have been teaching her to track. I would imagine that just like with people, sometimes the sense of smell is not the strongest!

Hi,

I can't say I've come across a Cavalier or any Spaniel for that matter who hasn't got a goo sense of smell- mine will sniff out practically anything from anywhere!

Maybe its a problem that could be found through the Vet??

Yes I think I would be inclined to get this checked out by the vet - I've never heard of a Cavalier with a poor sense of smell - usually the opposite!!

Rupert had an amazing sense of smell, it became even better after he went deaf - one time he tracked a dead goat :yuk: from over a mile away :yikes with my poor husband in hot pursuit :mad:

Even frozen chicken necks [which don't smell to me unless you stick your nose in really close] elicit quite a bit of interest from my current clan.

It would explain inappetite as that can be a problem for people with no sense of smell, the two are linked.

Back