Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe and Learning to Swim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canoe and Learning to Swim

Yesterday Coco had two firsts! We went on her very first canoe trip with her dog friend and some of my friends, and she went swimming all by herself for the first time! Her love for fetching and the fact that her life jacket helped her float gave her that extra confidence I think. We had so much fun! She was using her friend Diezel the yellow lab as an example.

My friend Kaitlin in the back with the dogs. They were so excited when we pulled up to the park!

Coco's life vest conveniently has a little handle! Don't worry, it has a very thick flap on the bottom that velcros on so no pressure was on her neck. She didn't mind being held like this at all lol.

I can canoe, can you canoe?

And Coco's swimming debut!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh! Congrats Coco! You did wonderfully Where was this place you went to? Btw...You looked very nice in your bathing suit

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

We went to the Slough in Bothell. Nice calm waters and it was so nice out yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Never been there but its a pretty area! It was nice all weekend but I am SO ready for the cooler temps We went to the Puyallup fair to watch the rodeo. WOW was it hot, thank goodness we were under the covered portion!

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

That was great, you can tell you were all having a great time.....especially your proud moment when she swam in her own. Too darn cute!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

This is SO darn cute!!!!! You are both having so much fun, you can tell. I am going to try to get Brooky in the water this summer, do you think the life jacket helped her ease into it? I need to buy Brooky a life jacket anyway so that we can go on some boats this summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    This is SO darn cute!!!!! You are both having so much fun, you can tell. I am going to try to get Brooky in the water this summer, do you think the life jacket helped her ease into it? I need to buy Brooky a life jacket anyway so that we can go on some boats this summer!
    Oh leaps and bounds of a difference. I had Coco swimming the week before without a life jacket and she didn't even want to chase sticks into the water. The life jacket gave her a lot more confidence

Post Thanks / Like

How did you first introduce her to water? She looks so at ease! We are hoping to be able to take our dog to lakes and streams when he gets older. My husband really wants Sonny to be comfortable around the water, so I want to make sure we introduce him the right way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashleighelizabeth View Post
    How did you first introduce her to water? She looks so at ease! We are hoping to be able to take our dog to lakes and streams when he gets older. My husband really wants Sonny to be comfortable around the water, so I want to make sure we introduce him the right way!
    I got Coco last October, so I didn't get the chance to take her to large bodies of water. Her first introduction was probably around 7 or 8 months old when the weather was warmer. During the time I had her I really built up her prey drive, she loves to chase things and play fetch. I started by throwing toys or sticks just into the shore of the lake so she was ok with getting her feet wet. Then I would toss them further and further, and she eventually was ok with walking in on her own up to her chest. She did this forever and never took the plunge! One day I just sortof put her in the water, and sure enough her instinct to swim was there. I was really non-chalant about it so she wouldn't freak out. I did this a few times so she knew how to swim. Once I got the life jacket, that was all it took She is 13 months old now.

Post Thanks / Like

so cute! She looks like a natural in the water.