• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Canoe and Learning to Swim

Zumie05

Yesterday Coco had two firsts! We went on her very first canoe trip with her dog friend and some of my friends, and she went swimming all by herself for the first time! Her love for fetching and the fact that her life jacket helped her float gave her that extra confidence I think. We had so much fun! She was using her friend Diezel the yellow lab as an example.

My friend Kaitlin in the back with the dogs. They were so excited when we pulled up to the park!

carride.jpg

Coco's life vest conveniently has a little handle! Don't worry, it has a very thick flap on the bottom that velcros on so no pressure was on her neck. She didn't mind being held like this at all lol.

purse.jpg

I can canoe, can you canoe?

canoe3.jpg

canoecloseup.jpg

And Coco's swimming debut!

stick.jpg

car.jpg

Oh my gosh! Congrats Coco! You did wonderfully cl*p Where was this place you went to? Btw...You looked very nice in your bathing suit (y)

Becky

Never been there but its a pretty area! It was nice all weekend but I am SO ready for the cooler temps cl*p We went to the Puyallup fair to watch the rodeo. WOW was it hot, thank goodness we were under the covered portion!

Becky

That was great, you can tell you were all having a great time.....especially your proud moment when she swam in her own. Too darn cute!

This is SO darn cute!!!!! You are both having so much fun, you can tell. I am going to try to get Brooky in the water this summer, do you think the life jacket helped her ease into it? I need to buy Brooky a life jacket anyway so that we can go on some boats this summer!

This is SO darn cute!!!!! You are both having so much fun, you can tell. I am going to try to get Brooky in the water this summer, do you think the life jacket helped her ease into it? I need to buy Brooky a life jacket anyway so that we can go on some boats this summer!

Oh leaps and bounds of a difference. I had Coco swimming the week before without a life jacket and she didn't even want to chase sticks into the water. The life jacket gave her a lot more confidence :)

How did you first introduce her to water? She looks so at ease! We are hoping to be able to take our dog to lakes and streams when he gets older. My husband really wants Sonny to be comfortable around the water, so I want to make sure we introduce him the right way!

How did you first introduce her to water? She looks so at ease! We are hoping to be able to take our dog to lakes and streams when he gets older. My husband really wants Sonny to be comfortable around the water, so I want to make sure we introduce him the right way!

I got Coco last October, so I didn't get the chance to take her to large bodies of water. Her first introduction was probably around 7 or 8 months old when the weather was warmer. During the time I had her I really built up her prey drive, she loves to chase things and play fetch. I started by throwing toys or sticks just into the shore of the lake so she was ok with getting her feet wet. Then I would toss them further and further, and she eventually was ok with walking in on her own up to her chest. She did this forever and never took the plunge! One day I just sortof put her in the water, and sure enough her instinct to swim was there. I was really non-chalant about it so she wouldn't freak out. I did this a few times so she knew how to swim. Once I got the life jacket, that was all it took :) She is 13 months old now.

oh wow!!! Coco took to the water like a duck, tehehe. It's so cool how dogs can swim. That video of her in action was a treat, reminds me of my Belle... she takes to the water far easier than Bobby, who can be anxious about everything.

She looks so cute in her lifejacket!
I am definitely getting one for Kokoda.
I will have to find a blue one though. I don't think he'd be impressed with a pink one :)

In that photo where you are holding her off the ground. I couldn't figure out why it looked strange!
I couldn't tell she was off the ground, but i knew it looked funny!
It wasn't until i read it that i realised you were holding her in the air!

Does Coco mind wearing it? I was just thinking that it might impact their ability to move around a bit.
Does it at all?

Sorry for all my questions :rolleyes:

She looks so cute in her lifejacket!
I am definitely getting one for Kokoda.
I will have to find a blue one though. I don't think he'd be impressed with a pink one :)

In that photo where you are holding her off the ground. I couldn't figure out why it looked strange!
I couldn't tell she was off the ground, but i knew it looked funny!
It wasn't until i read it that i realised you were holding her in the air!

Does Coco mind wearing it? I was just thinking that it might impact their ability to move around a bit.
Does it at all?

Sorry for all my questions :rolleyes:

Nope she runs around just fine! The only thing that frustrated her was when she was trying to roll around in the grass with it on - she loves to roll when she is wet. Otherwise she was swimming great, running great, and didn't even notice she had it on. What might have helped her was that as a young puppy I would play dress up with her, so she is used to wearing all sorts of things :lol:

Nope she runs around just fine! The only thing that frustrated her was when she was trying to roll around in the grass with it on - she loves to roll when she is wet. Otherwise she was swimming great, running great, and didn't even notice she had it on. What might have helped her was that as a young puppy I would play dress up with her, so she is used to wearing all sorts of things :lol:

That's great to hear. Koda is also used to wearing things. He is walked with a harness and wears coats in the winter often.
He will sit (or stand, depending on what he is getting pout on) if you tell him to 'get dressed'
so i don't think he will mind the lifejacket then.

You know when something is just SO ridiculously adorable that it makes you laugh? That's what happened to me when i saw the image of coco hanging by the life jacket holder! SOOO cute! Hehe i LOVE when i see people carrying their little dogs with those holder things (No idea what they are called).

The video is just so sweet! Going to take Molly to an off leash park on Sunday which i think has a small creek, so hopefully Molly will swim like Coco! :eek:

Back