• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can you break a gabapentin capsule??

BrooklynMom

Hey all,
I have a question about Brooklyn's gabapentin capsules. She is on 100 mg twice a day, and I am wondering if it is okay to break the capsule. I ask because she does not mind eating them at all (it is quite funny actually, she hears the shake of the jar and comes running!), but if I let her eat them on he own, the capsule starts breaking down and the medicine starts coming out. I always worry that she will not get all the medicine, so I end up just putting it down her throat (which bless her, she is totally fine with too! ha).

The pharmacist told me not to break a capsule, but I wondered if this is just for humans.

And, if I put her capsule in anything like honey or food, she just licks/eats around it, then starts playing with the pill in her mouth until the capsule starts dissolving and I am back a square one worrying if the medicine is just going to go everywhere and not in her mouth. She does not spit out the capsule, more so just plays in her mouth like she is trying to eat the capsule, but it takes a while.

Any thoughts? Advice? Do you dogs do this? I would be happy to just give it to her and let her eat away, but I worry that she would not be getting the medicine in her as it might be spilling? This also poses a problem if I am not home (which is not often), I do trust her to eat it, she loves it, but once that capsule dissolves, I have no idea how much meds she is actually getting.

Thanks!!

she does not mind eating them at all (it is quite funny actually, she hears the shake of the jar and comes running!), but if I let her eat them on he own, the capsule starts breaking down and the medicine starts coming out. I always worry that she will not get all the medicine, so I end up just putting it down her throat (which bless her, she is totally fine with too! ha).

I would guess that a capsule, once swallowed, would break down at a slower rate that one that is chewed open. I would double check with the doctor or pharmacist. Also, it could be with you shaking the pill bottle, she associates it with fun and play and the more she sees you enjoying her antics the more she does them.

And, if I put her capsule in anything like honey or food, she just licks/eats around it, then starts playing with the pill in her mouth until the capsule starts dissolving and I am back a square one worrying if the medicine is just going to go everywhere and not in her mouth. She does not spit out the capsule, more so just plays in her mouth like she is trying to eat the capsule, but it takes a while.

Maybe, instead of making it a game and without any fanfare, just wrap the pill in some food and give it to her. She'll just think she's special and you're giving her a treat.

Good Luck.

Gabapentin is extremely irritating to the gut lining which is why the pharmacist said not to break them open :(

If Brooklyn is happy to have them pushed down her throat, that sounds the safest way to give them to her [a vet can show you how to do this safely]

Shameless plug here, but Rupert's Fund recipe book has lots of ideas for giving medication

large.jpg

CD from the shop http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/wellbeing/dog-food-recipies-on-cd/prod_38.html

Dowload - The cost is £5 [although additional donations are gratefully received ] - and on receipt of payment, I will send you a link to download the recipe book. http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?36067-Rupert-s-Fund-recipe-book-ORDERS!!

Please pay by PayPal to [email protected] [in the name of Trevor Hughes]

alternatively by cheque or a bankers draft in pounds sterling payable to "Syringomyelia DNA Research" {please e-mail me for the address to send them to}.

Please quote your board name with your payment.

Now you can also buy the book!! [thanks to Karen who kindly arranged to have it printed

From

http://ruby-charliefund.weebly.com/shop-and-donate.html or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruperts-R...8?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c1eb0b378

It also makes a wonderful Christmas present for doggy people for those horribly organised people who are already doing theri Christmas shopping LOL

Thanks for that advice to the both of you. For now I am just going to continue putting the pill down the back of her throat until I chat with my neuro again. The only problem is every once in a while, she will sort of "gag" it back up...then once she does she usually breaks it or the case dissolves so fast! This morning she has white medicine all over her lips poor thing. I go right in to retrieve it when she does this, but I can't always get to it and sometimes frankly, I just get fumbley trying to get it in. Practice makes perfect.

Amazingly enough, my husbands hands are twice the size of my tiny ones and he manages to get it in every time! Though, Brooky does have a soft spot for him ;)

I will keep at it. I am getting better!

Oh and Nicki...please plug away!! I have the Rupert's Fund cook book and I love it!! Everyone should own a copy!! The kong recipes are the best. I am going to get the proper book for Brooklyn as a stocking stuffer this year ;) we have the computer version now.

We had same issue...

And then got it in liquid form but still gaveGracie indigestion. Had to give her Pepcid to deal with that. We now have her on Lyrica which also is a capsule. We have been opening it and mixing in with her raw diet breakfast and a night snack before bed. Working so much better than gabapentin overall. We are lucky that we have a friend who can get the Lyrica at a good price. Otherwise, we would be back to gabapentin, which was much harder to get down. Hugs to you and Brooky!

I don't recommend the Gabapentin liquid for the same reasons - we can't even get it over here!

I would check with the pharmacist about opening the Lyrica capsules though, it is the same family of drugs so I would think would have a similar effect?

Have you tried wrapping it in a bit of her raw diet? maybe give her one or two bits first then the one with the drug in it, hopefully she will be so keen she will just swallow it!

Monty gets his gabapentin capsule smooshed is a little piece of cheese. Down the hatch!

Back