• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Northern California MRI scan info

NicoleK

Hello there,
I took my precious fellow to Animal Scan in Redwood City today. The neurologist suggested an MRI, as the medication isn't working as well as we had hoped. It was confirmed that she has severe SM.

Anyway, I just wanted to give people a heads-up of what to expect. For a head and neck scan, the MRI is about $2,400. For a "chiari" scan, it's about $1,600. You have to get blood work done with your vet no more than 2 weeks before the scan. The scan took about 45 minutes and she was in recovery for about 25 minutes. They send the scan immediately to your neurologist. The girl at the front desk and the anesthesiologist were so awesome. For such a horrible situation, it was a positive experience.

I'm sorry to hear about your wee fellow :(

but it's good to hear that the staff were so good, it makes such a difference at a really horrible time.

It's very helpful to share costs as it gives an idea of what to expect.

I'm presuming the Chiari scan is similar to the low cost breeder's scans in that it only does the head and neck? That isn't really sufficient for a proper diagnosis, as often there are syrinxes further along the spine and if you do decide to proceed to surgery, they will need a full scan anyway.

Interestingly the costs are dearer in the UK!!

I just paid about £1800 for a full MRI scan -also paid £100 for the pre GA blood tests - in the UK, they say this is essential in older dogs but advisable in younger ones - it also ruled out other issues . Kayleigh had a spinal tap [similar to a lumbar puncture in humans] - this examines the spinal fluid, checks for inflammation etc.

The neurology consult was an additional £165 so in total £2065 - $3260

Wow.... Very pricey isn't it?

It is a but cheaper in North Carolina but not much. We had the partial scan at $1200. Never asked about the full scan. Very sorry that your fears were confirmed. You are in a great place to get advice and support.

Back