Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing sleeping pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. That's the thing, he usually does sleep all night but for some reason his pattern has changed. My husband never plays with him during the night. Its out and back in to sleep. I hope its not about attention because he has 2 grumpy parents right now who are not playing around! Gonna try ignoring and see what happens.

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Zumie05 View Post
    At his age he should be able to hold his potty all night long. Perhaps he is just trying to get attention? I would try ignoring him and see if any accidents happen. That way you will know if he really needs out, or if he is just trying to get you guys to come play with him

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This could also be due to something like a urinary tract infection. If it continues, or if you ignore him at night and as a result, he starts wetting the bedding in his crate or his sleeping area, I would immediately get him to the vet.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin. I've wondered about a UTI. Some of the things he's been doing makes me think about it. He licks his privates a lot but he's done that for a long time. I thought it was just the "male" thing to do. We also had an issue this past weekend that I thought was our fault. We took him to the dog park for the first time on Sat. He was ok at first but did find some dogs not so happy with him. Each time he met a dog he would turn onto his back, not something he does normally meeting dogs on the street. On Sunday for our last session of dog training, we went into petsmart. Each time he saw a dog shopping with its owner, he would sniff them and dribble pee a little. It happened 3 times BUT once he got into training and saw his class mates, he did not do it at all. Our trainer mentioned UTI but also mentioned it could have been too much too soon at the dog park and he hasn't come down off the "dog park high". I felt horrible for putting him into a situation that he wasn't ready for but now it makes me wonder about UTI.

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

So discussing with my husband, we decided to make him an appointment at the vet for tomorrow evening. I want to make sure its not a UTI.

Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default sleep

Not sure how old Tobi is, but I recently got a new puppy, 3 months old, and he initially woke at night and would cry when put in his crate at bedtime. I started giving him a saucer of warm puppy milk ( most pet stores have it) at about 11:30 pm, take him out to potty, then put to bed. Do not hear a sound until 6:00-6:30 am when I get him for breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like

Toby is almost 21 weeks old (tomorrow). Never heard of puppy milk at the stores. Wouldn't that make him need to go to the bathroom more if you give it at night?

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Updates?!?

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:
    just got home from the vet. They could not get a voluntary urine sample from Toby. He was shy. She said from what we described he may have a slight UTI so she said just to be on the safe side she will give us antibiotics for him to take. She also did a physical of sorts. His ears check out fine and he anal glands are ok. His heart is strong! I cried when she said that because our Peke died from MVD complications so having her say he has a strong heart really touched me. I know it can happen later but right now I will take that and run with it.
    TMI warning: she said he also has big testicles for his size but she said its normal and nothing to worry over. I was thinking about human issues with that but she said not so with Toby.
    When she did walk in the office Toby did dribble a few drops of pee. She said submissive urination. I told her that he has never done that with a human before. She said she thinks the dog park was too much for him but she said he will outgrow this. It may only last a little while. He didn't do this stuff until after the dog park on Saturday. I am so upset for going to that park! UGH!
    I thought this would be a perfect time to ask if she knew what SM was. She said she does! She said a receptionist in their office had a dog with it, it was a mix dog..something poo. She said that she knows it runs with Cavaliers. I told her that I do worry with some of the things I see in Toby sometimes. She said if we are very concerned that Toby may have it then she is all for us going to get an MRI so we can be settled. She said it will run about $1500-$1800 for it. BUT I don't know what age would be good to get this done. He is 21 weeks now. I know that getting an MRI requires him to be under so I don't take this lightly. I don't know what would be the right thing to do at this point.
    Anyway, that is a conversation for another thread sometime soon.
    So antibiotics for now.
    **forgot to add** He is now 12lbs 14 oz
    Becky
    Last edited by gamefanz; 16th September 2011 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update this morning:
    Toby vomited twice this morning so I called the vet. The receptionist told me to stop giving the antibiotics and she will have the vet call me when she gets in. More than likely she will give us a new med.

Becky