• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help Requested With a Tiny Puppy

she has had four generations of breeding dogs without CM!!

What?! Then she is a miracle breeder -- and none of the researchers know about her and these very extraordinary results.

I would seriously question what you are being told. And I would wonder if she would send her reports to Clare Rusbridge or Dr Marino for a second opinion. I do not think a neuro familiar with grading for CM is looking at these scans.

Maybe there was some confusion about what she was saying.

Even the breeder I know of who has had some of the few CM free dogs in her lines does not have anything like four full generations of all clear puppies for CM much less SM and I don't know anyone who would risk making such a claim about a gradual onset disease.

Just realised who this is -- she has been public about these results -- these were SM clear not CM clear and not full generations, but parents and a single line (eg sequence of four dogs). (y) That would be a lot more common. Very welcome results for a set of dogs though and great news for the breeder! The breeder was not the breeder or owner of all four generations as I recall though.

It is very important to understand the semantics of what is being claimed however -- this is not breeding four generations of SM (or CM) free dogs, but a single dog that had three immediate single predecessors scan SM free -- at the time of the scan of course; they'd need to have been rescanned at more relevant older ages to continue to say they are SM free dogs or an SM free line (as I don't think anyone seriously scanning has risked such a big claim as an SM free line). These results were mentioned in one of the research newsletters a few years back as a nice positive result; other scanning breeders have had similar results. :)

I will verify this information to make sure

Not surprised you would figure out who I was talking about without asking... you know them all personally I would think and probably have talked to them at length. I would be thrilled with either result, but I do know several in the lineage are also CM clear, not just SM clear. And no... she is not making any promises at all...except that she has done her best, certainly better than most to stack the deck in a positive way.

Just realised who this is -- she has been public about these results -- these were SM clear not CM clear and not full generations, but parents and a single line (eg sequence of four dogs). (y) That would be a lot more common. Very welcome results for a set of dogs though and great news for the breeder! The breeder was not the breeder or owner of all four generations as I recall though.

It is very important to understand the semantics of what is being claimed however -- this is not breeding four generations of SM (or CM) free dogs, but a single dog that had three immediate single predecessors scan SM free -- at the time of the scan of course; they'd need to have been rescanned at more relevant older ages to continue to say they are SM free dogs or an SM free line (as I don't think anyone seriously scanning has risked such a big claim as an SM free line). These results were mentioned in one of the research newsletters a few years back as a nice positive result; other scanning breeders have had similar results. :)

Hi All

I have put a few pictures up on my profile so yee can ave a look at my little baby. Sorry it took so long but it was hard to get her to stay still to take the pics, she really is full of life these days, thank god...

I guess she is coming along great as I had to loosen her collar last night. Fingers crossed it continues.

Thanks again for all your warm wishes & helpful advise.

Yee are all heros to me & Ruby

Oh my gosh Ruby is SO CUTE!!! What a tiny little thing...I am glad she seems to be upping the energy and growing a bit, wonderful to hear. This picture is my absolute favourite, I love how you put the toy there for perspective!! (I hope you don't mind that I posted this on the thread from your profile page...more people might see it this way and it was too cute not to spread!)

Ruby by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

I would wonder who is doing the readings on the scans -- not anyone involved with research, it would seem, as none of these dogs and their scans/DNA are part of the ongoing research and I know key researchers in the US, Canada and UK are totally unaware that anyone in the US has bred verified clear dogs. This seems... odd.

To date with worldwide research I am aware of fewer than 6 CM clear dogs. None are in the US. If it is true they are CM clear this would be enormously important!! Yet this person would be very well aware this is the case and know of the critical research projects that would need these scans and DNA. :confused:

To have the scans used for research would require a second opinion from one of the leading researchers very familiar with CM, on the CM clear diagnosis.

I am totally in love! She reminds me of my Claire. I adore the little sweater! Where in the world did you get that? Some day, I have to try to get my pictures off my desktop and put some here of Claire when she was 10 weeks. Seriously, side by side they are so similar, except Claire has some white.

Give her a gentle squeeze for me. I think you are doing a brilliant job.

Just for information purposes, my Vet thought Claire might not be bigger than 9-10 lbs. But she is just shy of 12, and I do keep her thin. So sometimes the tiny ones still turn out a decent size. You just can never know.

I'll have to go look, I don't remember if you said how old she is in the picture.

More pictures please!

Oh my gosh Ruby is SO CUTE!!! What a tiny little thing...I am glad she seems to be upping the energy and growing a bit, wonderful to hear. This picture is my absolute favourite, I love how you put the toy there for perspective!! (I hope you don't mind that I posted this on the thread from your profile page...more people might see it this way and it was too cute not to spread!)

So cute!!
Ruby by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

This is so cute!

I would like to give her some kind of award that everyone in the world would know about... as a way to show that it CAN be done. Then maybe others would follow in her footsteps. I do salute those pressing hard for more health testing and making more of them mandatory, but in the meantime, we can't forget all the good people out there doing their best.

I think its wonderful and important to focus on the positives. One breeder told me that the "reward" or what keeps them going is the puppies and being able to give them good homes. There are several dedicated breeders that have been scanning and providing results to researchers and sharing information with one another. It is not a one person effort. I know some have been scanning since before 2005 so if you think about it, now they have several results and history. Now those same ones would be over 6 years old so would be great to contribute to research. Many have and have received good results.

Hi All

Ruby is 12 weeks today & yee are all right see is soooo cute, she has the sweetest little bark... Thanks for sharing the picture for me I have not got the hang of this yet... What you see behind her is her favourite snoozing place. Its a shelf under my coffee table where my son stores his snuggy (blanket with sleeves) She likes to climb in there during the day for a snooze.

The sweater I knit myself, its just a blanket with sleeves. The first day she came home she was shivering, she was so thin she was cold all thetime, so I took my wool out & ran it up for her. It did the trick, kept her nice& warm. The shivering has stopped now though so the snuggie is no longer needed.
(I am not a fan of dressing doggies up being honest, except for a rain jacket when its wet outside but that because im not a fan of wet dog smell haha)

Aww, Ruby, happy week birthday! She is like a little wind up doll!

When you took her for shots, did the Vet say how much she is weighing? I just know you'll do a brilliant job with her. She probably needed the sweater until you could put some meat in her little bones.

I want more pictures! How is she doing eating now?

Sorry it took soooo long

Hi All

Just an update on little Ruby.

Ruby has developed into a wonderful, happy, lively puppy with all the mischief that brings with it. She has filled out beautifully & has been moved from the high protein mother & puppy food to puppy food. Both myself & the vet are both very happy with her progress.

Her coat has really come on in the past few weeks but it still needs a bit more help in that department.She still likes to sleep a lot & she snores loud enough for any man to be proud of.:D

I will be posting some pics in the next day or 2 if I can get her to sit still long enough to take some.

Thank you all for your kind support in Ruby's hour of need. You have no idea how happy we were to receive it

Hugs
Simone & Ruby

Thank you so much for the update. You have helped me start my day with a smile. You go little Ruby cl*p

Thank you so very much Simone. Little Ruby stole a little piece of my heart. I am like Flo, and thank you for making me smile. I look forward to the pictures.

Oh thanks so much for that update!!! I was just thinking of little Ruby, I cannot wait to see some new pics.

And like others, am so happy that she is coming along! You must be one good mama to her, she is very lucky.

Back