• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urgent advice needed, please read.

*Pauline*

Dylan is at the vets now waiting for a wobbly tooth to be taken out and for his teeth to be descaled. Vet just rang me to say the anaesthetic puts pressure on the brain and, as Dylan has SM, he's not happy to put him under, he said he might not wake up. We talked it over and I said many dogs with SM have to have anaesthetic for their MRI, he then said lets go ahead then. I told him to hold fire until I spoke to Clare Rusbridge.

I'm waiting for Clare Rusbridge to ring me back, it's her day off.

Have any of you been told the anaesthetic puts pressure on the brain?

Last edited:
No.never heard of that...
Daisy had an anaesthetic when she was spayed and she woke up.

Sins

I would rather someone else give you advice especially from Dr. Rusbridge, but I've never heard that. I think with anesthesia there is always a risk but I don't think from that.

Ella had a second MRI with no problems. I would think Dr. Rusbridge wouldn't recommend multiple MRI if that were the case.

Please get other people's input b/c o could be wrong

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No.never heard of that...
Daisy had an anaesthetic when she was spayed and she woke up.

Sins

So did ella from 2nd MRI and she had severe SM. I also know that many who had surgery for SM have 6 month follow up MRI. I think that's standard with LIVS

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quick ladies. Clare Rusbridge was emailed by Stone Lion and, bless her, she rang me within 5 minutes, she's amazing ;) She said he's fine to have an aneastetic. She said dental health is so important in a Cavalier. Most important detail however was to give both Poppy and Dylan and kiss from Clare :rolleyes:

So I just rang the vets again and managed to discuss how I want Dylan to be positioned during surgery and when I took him in this morning, I showed the nurses how to pick him up.

Now to keep myself busy icon_nwunsure

Oh goodness Pauline, some vets really know how to press the "panic" button in us. Guess he was just erring on the safe side. Clare is certainly marvellous, with all the dogs she has in her care she always makes you feel that yours is very special (which of course they are).:)

Hope Dylan's dental goes OK.
Cinders had a dental done earlier in the year when she had some back Xrays done and had 3 teeth removed, and she is 11 with MVD. My vet said the modern anaesthetics are so much better now and she was up and about within a couple of hours of having the procedure done.

Give Dylan a big :hug:from us all when he comes home.

Thanks Sandra. :hug:

I'll have to privately ask my favourite nurse whose the best vet now as David, my amazing vet, leaves tomorrow :(

Hi Pauline,

Hope Dylan is ok and not to grumpy after his tooth exstraction. Give him a gentle hug from me and a brotherly kiss from Leo XX

Thanks Mel.

I've been curled up sleeping with Poppy today, it passed the time nicely, I'm still shattered. Not long now till I start taking Pregabalin myself once I'm weaned off my other pills.

Sorry you had such a scare :( Can I suggest you print off the stuff from SM Cavalier and Clare's site to take in to your vets as they seem to have little or no understanding of SM?

Hope Dylan is ok now.

Thanks for asking. Poor Dylan was very floppy after his operation, I had to ask someone to hold him while I paid the vet. The vet said he didn't come round too well after. Dylan's fine now though and his teeth look so lovely. Little Kipling (my Chinese Crested Powder Puff) looked after Dylan all evening, he licked Dylan's face and slept nose to nose with him :lotsaluv:

Oh so pleased Dylan is back home and recovering!!

Ruby is also very very slow to come round from GA but she is back to her normal self the next day after a comatoze sleep over night!!

Thanks for asking. Poor Dylan was very floppy after his operation, I had to ask someone to hold him while I paid the vet. The vet said he didn't come round too well after. Dylan's fine now though and his teeth look so lovely. Little Kipling (my Chinese Crested Powder Puff) looked after Dylan all evening, he licked Dylan's face and slept nose to nose with him :lotsaluv:

Aw sweet Kipling!!!
Great to know Dylan is ok and back home. Phew.

Back