Thread: puppy play pens

Post Thanks / Like

Default puppy play pens

Has anyone used a puppy play pen/exercise pen? What are your thoughts on them? Did your puppy knock them over? I need somewhere that we can put our puppy when I am showering, eating dinner, running short errands or ect. I don't want to put him in his crate every time that he can't be in my sight, but he is also too mischievous to be left alone right now. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the iris 8 panel playpen. You can take the panels off if its too big or if you want to use some of the panels elsewhere. You can put the playpen in different shapes and such. It is pretty tall for a playpen. You can buy extra panels for it too to make it even larger. For Toby we started early. We even took 4 panels and just have them free standing in the livingroom/hallway area and he has yet to mow it down. Not sure if its just because he is used to it being there or what.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Panel-In...i_sku=15603594
    **if you look at some of the pictures I post in the puppy section you may see our playpen and the way we have it.**

Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes they are an excellent idea. I strongly recommend you download the "before and after you get your puppy" books from here http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads - they are free. They have lots of brilliant advice about raising your puppy, also a good set up with a crate and playpen.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    We have the iris 8 panel playpen. You can take the panels off if its too big or if you want to use some of the panels elsewhere. You can put the playpen in different shapes and such. It is pretty tall for a playpen. You can buy extra panels for it too to make it even larger. For Toby we started early. We even took 4 panels and just have them free standing in the livingroom/hallway area and he has yet to mow it down. Not sure if its just because he is used to it being there or what.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Panel-In...i_sku=15603594
    **if you look at some of the pictures I post in the puppy section you may see our playpen and the way we have it.**

Becky
    Thanks! I had been looking at a different brand that was metal, but I might go with the one you recommend since it seems to work for Toby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Yes they are an excellent idea. I strongly recommend you download the "before and after you get your puppy" books from here http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads - they are free. They have lots of brilliant advice about raising your puppy, also a good set up with a crate and playpen.
    Thanks Nicki! I have read through parts of that download and it did have excellent advice, I especially found the parts on bite inhibition helpful. It was funny because during my orientation for puppy class my trainer was literally quoting parts of that book and I was thinking hmmmmm she must be an Ian Dunbar fan too! I need to make sure to read the rest. I will definitely be looking at the section on crates and play pens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These pens are the BEST investment most people could make for their dog! ADULT and puppy -- I know they are typically called puppy x-pens but really they are dog pens. I have one of 8 panels, each about a yard high. I constantly use two panels linked as an impromptu barrier in the kitchen (to keep dogs in or out -- I just keep the connected pair tucked next to the dishwasher so I can pull it out anytime); used one for the stairs when Lucy could no longer climb them without risking a collapse due to MVD; Put them around the front door so the dogs can bask in the sun if I am working on a planter box outside or painting, cleaning etc; and we take them on dog holidays as a pen for the dogs (they will all sleep inside a pen on various beds when we travel, plus they can be used to keep dogs from one area of the home rental/cottage, etc).

For puppies -- they are endlessly useful as a pen that you can attach easily to the crate; as a time out area, to keep kids from overstimulating or bothering pups (they need breaks regularly from children and should always be separated if an adult isn;t there to supervise), to stay in when the owner steps out, or at night (just leave the crate inside -- Ian Dunbar as noted above, has example setups in his free book download). You can pop the dog/pup in when you need to do some tasks around the house, take a shower etc. Good for when visitors are there. Make a quick safe outdoor area for dogs.

Just endless possibilities.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com