• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just when you think everything will be ok...

*Pauline*

Just when you think everything will be ok...Dylan won't eat, not even ham or cheese, so I took him to the vet. Whilst there, he started passing blood. He had a dental on Friday and I told them which pain killer I wanted them to use bearing in mind he's on Pregabalin and Rimadyl and they ignored me. He's been sick also. :(

Oh no, Pauline. I am so sorry to hear this. He is a wonderful boy, and I really hope this is something, he soon will recover from. I know the symptoms sound bad, and I send you all my wishes and hugs to you and Dylan.
Charlotte

Thinking of you and Dylan, maybe he just picked up a bug? hoping he be better soon xx

Just when you think everything will be ok...Dylan won't eat, not even ham or cheese, so I took him to the vet. Whilst there, he started passing blood. He had a dental on Friday and I told them which pain killer I wanted them to use bearing in mind he's on Pregabalin and Rimadyl and they ignored me. He's been sick also. :(

Don’t tell me they used Metacam on him. My Ebony was bad once after Metacam also had blood in her poo. As soon as I stopped giving it she was ok.
Wishing Dylan a speedy recovery.

No, but I can't remember the name of the drug, it was injected, I didn't give him anything. I saw my favourite vet who did his last day at that practice today and he told me what they gave him shouldn't have been given with Rimayl in the same day.

Oh Pauline no !

Please keep us updated on Dylan. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Remember look after yourself too :hug:

Do hope Dylan is doing better - this is quite a worry for you :(

Metacam is often given by injection for pain relief at similar operations - Metacam is a generic of Meloxicam

There is a condition known as Multi Drug Resistance-1 (MDR1) - it might be worth mentioning this to the vets if he isn't better tomorrow?

MDR gives symptoms very similar to a severe gastroenteritis upset but the irritation is started by something like Metacam

The dog can demonstrate an unusual, very bad almost total intolerance to the drug.

The affected dog cannot pump out toxins from certain drugs causing a group of symptoms such as these, it is caused by a lack of a certain protein P-Glycoprotein in the animal. [It is tested for in many other breeds, but fortunately seems to be quite rare in Cavaliers]

This happened to a friend's Cavalier recently, she was very poorly but has made a good recovery.

Sorry to read about poor Dylan, I hope that the vet can figure out what is wrong and get him sorted and home to you asap.

Thank you one and all for your kind replies. Dylan is a new dog over night, what a relief. I'm feeding him very small quantities of food.

I went to the vets and, as the practice manager was on holiday, I got to see the owner of the whole company. She was very nice and fully agreed I should be refunded the £60 I paid to fix this. She said Dylan has been given an overdose as he'd already taken rimadyl in the morning. I had told them pain killers will be an issue and even suggested a drug I know is ok but the vet didn't look at the booking in notes. She said she'd tell him off!

Glad to hear!!!! Was that the same vet who claimed anesthesia was going to put pressure in his brain who "forgot" that he took Rimadyl?
I would definitely not go back to that vet! Wow!!!!!!

Glad to hear!!!! Was that the same vet who claimed anesthesia was going to put pressure in his brain who "forgot" that he took Rimadyl?
I would definitely not go back to that vet! Wow!!!!!!

:xctly:There we are, if you can remember all those details, you'd think he would. I'd made sure they were all written on his booking in notes.

The vet in question is moving to another branch of the same company in 2 months to head that practice(!) The vet I saw today, who is also meant to be one of the best there, is also leaving. She introduced me to a nice lady vet and said to ask for her next time.

Thank you one and all for your kind replies. Dylan is a new dog over night, what a relief. I'm feeding him very small quantities of food.

I went to the vets and, as the practice manager was on holiday, I got to see the owner of the whole company. She was very nice and fully agreed I should be refunded the £60 I paid to fix this. She said Dylan has been given an overdose as he'd already taken rimadyl in the morning. I had told them pain killers will be an issue and even suggested a drug I know is ok but the vet didn't look at the booking in notes. She said she'd tell him off!

Thank goodness! I can't believe that all happened.

I can't either Alisha. Mistakes happen, I know that, but this was a silly mistake, it's essential to read the booking in notes before you do anything. What bothered me was the vet who did it was walking about the practice and smiled at Dylan as he passed by, no word of an apology.

Oh Pauline, I'm sorry I missed all this. I can't imagine! Thankfully Dylan is nearly back to himself. My goodness I'm not sure if I'd have been as kind as you.

Hugs to you both!

Back