Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random shaking?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random shaking?

Hi all!
    New member from New York City, here. We have a 5 month old female Blenheim pup named Shiksa. She's in good health, happy & an absolute sweetheart. She's teething quite a bit the last 10 days and also has a stomach bug at the moment. My question is this: she's randomly been shaking a bit in her crate when she wakes up. This has been on & off the last 2-3 days. The shaking stops and she's totally fine once she comes out -- of course, though, we are concerned about it and want to know if anyone else has experienced this while their Cavalier pup is teething, or are a bit under the weather? It's not violent shaking by any means, and *it stops* once we take her out of her crate. But it's noticeable when we go to get her after a nap to head out for a walk, feed her, etc.

She has already been to the vet and I've owned dogs in the past. Since I'm new to Cavaliers, like any breed they have their own little quirks and wondered if any Cavalier owners have experienced this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
    Christy
    Last edited by diopter; 18th September 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Could you clarify what you mean by shaking? Something like tremor/jitters or shaking the way a wet dog would?

A tremor I would start keeping a notebook of times she does this. It could something she grows out of, but if it increases in frequency you will want to be aware.

Shaking whole body could be ears. Mites maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is this brand new or did you just notice it?

Can I clarify a few things?

-she's not shaking when she's asleep
    -she's waking upt at normal times
    -shaking is only when she's waking up?

Could it be she's stretching as she's waking up. I think my dogs probably do that a little bit, I woudln't have really called it shaking but they do move around a little before they actually wake up and if they are in their crates perhaps they might do this longer since they don't have as much room to stretch?. If you are really concerned about it, I'd definitely ask your vet just to be sure.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

First, welcome! I just moved from New York City (I now live in Sydney)...and my pups name is Brooklyn in honor

Well, you said you went to the vet...what did the vet say about it? She might be shaking because of her stomach bug, sometimes they get cold if they are sick (this has happened to Brooklyn when she was sick and when she got desexed...to solve it, I had her sleep in a fleece coat til she got better, worth trying if that is the case it helped her a lot). Is it only the moment when she awakes in the morning? Is she near a draft? Because young puppies can also get cold easier than adults. Try a warm water bottle or one of those microwave puppy warmers they sell at the pet store if you think this might be the case. Again, that worked for Brooklyn.

As for actual medical things, I have no idea unless it is related to the above. Would be interested to hear your response to the others questions and what you vet opinion was too.

Welcome to the boards!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    Could you clarify what you mean by shaking? Something like tremor/jitters or shaking the way a wet dog would?

A tremor I would start keeping a notebook of times she does this. It could something she grows out of, but if it increases in frequency you will want to be aware.

Shaking whole body could be ears. Mites maybe?
    Hi! Thanks for your reply. A mild tremble, like what a chiahuaha would do - that's the best way to describe it. No mites, she just had her ears examined at the vet. It stops once we take her out of the crate. Vet thinks it's behavioral since she only started doing it around the time the stomach bug started, and she only does it when we go to get her to take her out of the crate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Is this brand new or did you just notice it?

Can I clarify a few things?

-she's not shaking when she's asleep
    -she's waking upt at normal times
    -shaking is only when she's waking up?

Could it be she's stretching as she's waking up. I think my dogs probably do that a little bit, I woudln't have really called it shaking but they do move around a little before they actually wake up and if they are in their crates perhaps they might do this longer since they don't have as much room to stretch?. If you are really concerned about it, I'd definitely ask your vet just to be sure.
    Hello! It's a new thing in the past few days. She ONLY shakes/trembles when she's waking up or needs to come out, then once she's out of the crate, it stops. Her sleep schedule is a bit off from the stomach upset and discomfort from teething, but otherwise she's not shaking at all. Vet thinks it's attention/behavioral/linked to not feeling well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    First, welcome! I just moved from New York City (I now live in Sydney)...and my pups name is Brooklyn in honor

Well, you said you went to the vet...what did the vet say about it? She might be shaking because of her stomach bug, sometimes they get cold if they are sick (this has happened to Brooklyn when she was sick and when she got desexed...to solve it, I had her sleep in a fleece coat til she got better, worth trying if that is the case it helped her a lot). Is it only the moment when she awakes in the morning? Is she near a draft? Because young puppies can also get cold easier than adults. Try a warm water bottle or one of those microwave puppy warmers they sell at the pet store if you think this might be the case. Again, that worked for Brooklyn.

As for actual medical things, I have no idea unless it is related to the above. Would be interested to hear your response to the others questions and what you vet opinion was too.

Welcome to the boards!!
    Thanks for your warm welcome! What a cute name -- we actually live in Brooklyn The vet thinks it's attention/behavioral since she's not feeling well, and the shaking stops once she comes out of the crate on schedule to go out, eat, or play. As in, "I shake, I can get their attention." It doesn't happen any other time. Her crate is near a window, yep -- we've got it padded a bit with a towel. We just got her a sweater, so thank you very much for that thought! Will try it out and see how it goes. Hopefully that plus the antibiotic will do the trick and she'll be back to 100% in a few days.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome. This could be totally off the wall but I'm just wondering if she could be shaking because she is excited to see you?
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My puppy ( 3.5) months will do this also. I think he just gets excited. He also seems to get cold very easily. I keep a tee shirt on him these chilly days we've been having ( I'm in Western PA) and he loves his little fleece blanket in his bed at night.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dog that would shake like that, but it was out of excitement, just anxious to get out ofthe crate and be held and loved. Just a bit of nervous excitement I would think.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010