Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie's MRI booked

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Charlie's MRI booked

Hi All

My little man is off to see Clare again on the 6th October for a repeat MRI so we can see whether his CM has progressed any further.

As you all probably know by now Charlie is one of the unfortunate ones that suffer with CM. He was orginally scanned at 14 months and he is nearly 3 now and I would like to know what is happening and whether it has got any worse.

Of course I will be devastated if it has developed in to SM but it won't make any difference to him as he is already being treated for symptomatic CM.

Just got to wait and see

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be saying a little prayer for him, that things havent progressed. You take such wonderful care of them Karen!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers here too. I hope everything goes okay...you are one good mama to keep everything in check and on top of what might be going on.

Can you tell me what "symptomatic CM" is? I am just learning the difference between asymptomatic and symptomatic SM, but I just don't know when it comes to CM what classifies symptomatic.
    Sorry, so much to pack into my brain about this as my little Brooklyn travels down this road. There is endless stuff to learn!

Will be thinking of you on your appointment day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi there, his symptoms are no different to that of my older SM dog. He scratches and claws at his face alot. He gets headaches and occasionally cries and groans. His ventricles were also very dialated on his first scan which to look at seems as though there are 2 giant black holes with in his head but the pressure from this must cause pain and he is quite light sensitive also and his eyes go bloodshot when he has a particularly bad day. At the time of his first scan there was no SM present and it is the syrinx that causes the damage with in the spine so he doesn't have the limping and other symptoms that attribute to nerve damage.
    Last edited by Karen and Ruby; 20th September 2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Karen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for filling me in on that. Very interesting. It is all this information that I am adding to my mental Cav journal, so thank you for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heard of several dogs with CM & symptoms

Very mysterious as to why, but it seems that dogs can have CM only and still show some major symptoms or none at all. Many symptoms can seem just like SM... I suppose the pressure caused by the malformation itself creates these.

I sure hope that Charlie's condition has not progressed. Keeping you in my prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver is much the same as Charlie - he does have a small syrinx but that seems to cause no problems. His very dilated ventricles (3 times the normal size) cause headaches and light phobia due to damage to or interference with the mechanism of his pupils - all symptoms caused by his CM.

Karen - does Charlie wear a sunhat when he squints in the sun? Charlie has a poplin baseball cap with a long brim and it really helps when he's sitting around in bright light (even sittng in shade but looking out at light) - when he's walking or running around his nose is always on the floor so his own eyelids protect him. He also has some doggles but so far hasn't needed to wear them.

Best of luck with the MRI,

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Already crossing fingers and toes hoping for good results. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Red Headed Baby Girl
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Hope that the results are good for your Charlie.
    Once I meet Clare I knew my two were in good hands and that helped me put my mind at rest a little.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    Oliver is much the same as Charlie - he does have a small syrinx but that seems to cause no problems. His very dilated ventricles (3 times the normal size) cause headaches and light phobia due to damage to or interference with the mechanism of his pupils - all symptoms caused by his CM.

Karen - does Charlie wear a sunhat when he squints in the sun? Charlie has a poplin baseball cap with a long brim and it really helps when he's sitting around in bright light (even sittng in shade but looking out at light) - when he's walking or running around his nose is always on the floor so his own eyelids protect him. He also has some doggles but so far hasn't needed to wear them.

Best of luck with the MRI,

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate

I've never thought of a sun hat for him! He really doesn't like anything around his face or head though so not sure how he would take to that!!
    I'll look in to it though so thanks!!

Karen