• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie's MRI booked

Just adding a bit on dilated ventricles from my experience with Oliver. From a scan, it looks as if the ventricles must be full of fluid pushing them out to bigger than they should be. In fact, of course, if they were completely full of fluid, the fluid wouldn't be able to move in and out, which it still does, only slower than it should. So you have a cavity in the brain partly full of CSF, which like all liquids finds its own level. I find that Oliver is more uncomfortable when he lies with his jaw flat on the floor (the Cavalier Prayer Position!) or on his bedding. In that position, the CSF is, so to speak, horizontal and exerting maximum pressure on the back of his eyes. This is also when he squints most in strong light, presumably because the CSF pressure is doing maximum interference with the mechanism of his pupils. If I either make him change position, or gently roll him over on his side, he stops whimpering, so presumably his headache is eased.

A lot of 'presumablys' here! I can only pass on what I have observed and so often we can only guess at our dogs' pain and experiment with what helps. But this definitely seems to help Oliver.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Karen, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Charlie on October 6th. I am very curious to find out if there is a difference in the scans.
Jack is somewhat similar to Charlie. He was MRI'd at a little over a year and found to have CM with "pre-syrinx" but I didn't get any feedback on ventricle size, nor did I think to ask at the time. I will def ask at my next neuro check up.
Jack is fairly symptomatic and is on about the same amount, if not more medications than many of the dogs with a large syrinx. THankfully thus far his symptoms have been managed fairly well with these medications. I have been contemplating getting another MRI to check if the "pre-syrinx" developed. However have decided to hold off until it has been 2 years from the first MRI (unless of course something dramatically changes with his symptoms) to get a better idea of any change.
Jack takes omeprazole so I am hoping it has limited any additional syrinx formation.
I do notice his eyes water and get red when he undergoes any exertion or in the heat. He doesn't however mind being pet on the head, he literally runs and jumps (to my dismay) on everyone and anyone who shows the slightest bit of interest.
As far as the lying down, he does tend to lie on his side on the cold floor after a particularly eventful day. However it is usually only for a few minutes and then he is back on the couch.
I will be thinking of you and Charlie on the 6th and eagerly awaiting your update.

Back