• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Checking in .. new doggy coming and good times for Gracie

GraciesMom

Good to be back to visit with folks again. Always fun to see happy news and sad to see troubled times for others. We have been really busy after Gracie's surgery for SM about 5 weeks ago, but wanted to report back on what we are up to and Gracie's recovery.

GRACIE'S PROGRESS: She is doing sooooo well. We have switched her medication to Lyrica and she takes it 2 times a day. We have been able to get the genertic at a much lower cost, but not without a lot of effort. It is well worth it because she is now better than she has been in months... she plays hard and is so happy. It sometimes brings tears to my eyes that she very rarely has signs of SM at all. And she could not be any sweeter or more beautiful than she is right now. I hope that those who have dogs diagnosed with SM can take heart from Gracie's journey. At least for now, she is doing so so well and having a good life.

NEW DOGGY COMING! On Oct. 22, I fly to Chicago area to pick up a 10-month-old male Cavalier who comes from a very unique background. Four generations of MRI-scanned lineage... all without the chiari malformaton. Yes... there are a few Cavaliers and I am on my knees in gratitude that we have this opportunity to support an amazing breeder who had this condition on her radar screen very early. If you want to know the breeder, I can provide privately but not publicly. He was neutered yesterday... poor guy! We are looking forward to bringing him here. I know that he still may develop SM, but at least the chances are lower and we can support a breeder doing her best.

NAMING NEW DOGGY-- CALENDAR CONTEST! He is a cutie pie named Stryker, but we now have a bet going related to this. I really stuck my foot in it this time! Basically, we have agreed to name him something a bit funny if we can get 100 of the new CT calendars sold to my Facebook and personal friends in Gracie's name. This started out as a joke, but has now taken hold and the breeder thinks it is a great idea. So... if I get 100 calendars sold, he will be.... BUBBA!!! Yes... Bubba. For those not from the USA, this is a nickname that is very rural Old South and very anti-Cavalier... a bit like calling a Great Dane something like Peewee or Prissy. But, to raise money for a good cause, it shall be done! Stryker is not all that Cavalier-like either .... sounds a bit like a bulldog to me!

Thanks to all who provided support and prayers during and after Gracie's surgery. I love you all more than words can say.

Last edited:
Wow, such great news!!! Glad Gracie is doing so well, and the time you all have waited to add another Cav into your lives was well worth it. Things happen for a reason, you guys are great.

Yeah Gracie!

Debra,

Firstly, you have been missed on these boards. Your responses are always so thoughtful and kind.

Glad to hear that Gracie is doing so well! :jmp2:It was such a trying time for all of you and now it seem like your little girl is doing all the things a puppy should. So happy for you.

As to your new little bundle of joy......congratulations. Stryker/Bubba couldn't be in better hands and he's getting the most perfect sister! Can't wait to see pictures.

I have a couple of questions, so I'll be PMing you. Hugs from me and Sydney.

This is such WONDERFUL news! I'm so glad Gracie is doing well!
I can't wait to see your newest member's pictures! I couldn't help but laugh at the name of Bubba but who knows it may suit him after all.

Becky

Fantastic news about wee Gracie, so thrilled for you. :jump:

I didn't think you could get a generic for Lyrica yet we were told it wouldn't be until late next year...

How exciting about your new addition!! He sounds fantastic, so pleased for you - and I think this is much better for Gracie than having a very young puppy about.

It's a brilliant idea about the calendar, Debra - to encourage people to reach this fabulous goal, Tania and I will send a wee present from the gift shop http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/index.php to the people who purchased the 33rd, 66th and 100th calendar!!

If anyone else would like to do this - ie challenge their Facebook friends or any other groups, families or friends to purchase a certain number of calendars, we will arrange something similar :D

I am so happy to hear good news. I am so glad Gracie is doing great and it sounds like she is having a good time. And a new Cavalier from what sounds a great breeder and without CM. To find that is a bit like winning the lottery.

I think Bubba is a great name.

Nice to have you back on the Forum.

Nicki... you are right about Lyrica

It is not sold in USA or most countries as a generic yet, but can get it from a place in Canada. I also have a friend who has been able to get me some sample bottles left over from a practice he sold a few months ago.

And, yes Gracie is doing all the things "puppies" love to do... including occasionally getting herself into trouble icon_devil She can still be a little devil at times, especially shredding cardboard or finding something in the yard she shouldn't.

Okay... here are 2 photos of Stryker "Bubba" Henzey. They are not great photos because the breeder used a cell phone and she was pretty far back. I had to crop alot out.

stryker2.jpg

styker1.png

With some of his family ....
strykerwithfamily.jpg

Last edited:
Great news about Gracie and great news about your new little boy. If anyone deserves such a special cavalier then you do.

So nice to have you back on the forum.

Nicki.... I already have folks asking me regularly...when is the calendar for sale? I guess they can't wait for me to be forced to name the new brother Bubba!

Last edited:
HI Debra-

I would really appreciate if you would PM me the info about ordering the generic Lyrica from Canada. I would love to try Scarlett on this as she has a hard time when the Gabapentin wears off. I have been toying with this idea for a while. So glad to hear that Gracie is doing well!

My husband jokes and calls his English Bulldog Bubba and he teases my parents (from the Boston area) that he is going to call our baby boy (due in December) Bubba!! My mom is having a fit, LOL! Good luck with your new pup. :)

Great news about Gracie feeling better!!! And congratulations on your new little addition. He is gorgeous what ever his name ends up being!!!!:p

I am so happy about your new addition :)

Debra,

With the amount of friends you have (especially on facebook), I can easily see 100 calenders being sold!! Bubba!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm in Love

He is gorgeous :lotsaluv: and definately looks like a "Bubba"! Can't wait to see pictures of him and Gracie playing. Looks like you're going to have your hands full.

Oh Debra, I am so happy to hear an update from you!!! I think about little Gracie all the time...we have missed you!!!!!
It is wonderful to hear about Gracie, I am glad that she is on the up and up and starting to get back to normal life. You are such a wonderful mother to her and are giving her such a good chance and a wonderful and long life. It is such a blessing that she has you.

And on to your new man...SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!! I love him. Love love love. He looks a lot like Brooklyn, with lots of white. :) If I were Gracie I would be getting my nails and hair done stat because a cute new boy is coming to move in!
You will laugh at this because my nickname for Brooklyn is bubba...and she is a girl! I have no idea how I started calling her that. First it went Brooklyn, then it went Brooky, the Bubby, then Bubba. Ha! I think he kinda looks like a Bubba and what a great contest!!

Glad to hear things are going well, it just makes me so happy for you. I cannot wait to hear the adventures of "Bubba" and Gracie :)
xx

Wonderful news! I am so happy for you. I love that Gracie is doing so well...she is such a good girl, I am glad you helped her live a less painful life.

Aw Bubba! I call my Bobby that sometimes, amongst many other variations to his name.
Tiz good to hear Gracie is doing well and bouncing back. Thanks for the update!

DEBRA! Wonderful to hear from you.

Absolutely LOVE :l*v: the update on Gracie. Would love to see some new photos of her too.

And the news about Stryker/Bubba is also so cool! Okay, so part of me says.......what happens if you only sell 99? And what if you sell 199? Does that give you the opportunity to change it to something a bit more regal? HaHaHa!

Oh man, Chicago....close, but yet still too far from me. Wish I could take the train down and meet you and SB. Hubby has a niece that lives there, and I have a couple friends who recently moved there.

Anyway, good to see you, and hope you are doing well.....and buying lots of blue!

Wish you could too!!!

Oh man, Chicago....close, but yet still too far from me. Wish I could take the train down and meet you and SB. Hubby has a niece that lives there, and I have a couple friends who recently moved there.

Anyway, good to see you, and hope you are doing well.....and buying lots of blue!

I sure wish you could tooooo!!! It is only me going...with a carrying case for Bubba! She lives about an hour north of Chicago... Not sure if that helps enough. It will be short trip though as I am headed down Saturday a.m. and coming back just after lunch on Sunday.

Back