• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How Sydney is doing..

Sydneys Mom

As many of you know, I wrote about Sydney having to be rushed to the ER 2 months ago. The reason for this emergency was his body wasn’t getting enough oxygen and his abdomen was filling with fluids again. Also, he had a very severe staph infection all over his body. My opinion is that he couldn’t fight both heart disease and the staph infection and that his body decided it had enough. The funny thing is, he came and alerted us to this in a way he only does in distress and I firmly believe that even though his body gave up his mind didn’t and that’s why he is still here today.

He has had a marked improvement since then, still having good days and bad days, but the good days seem to have outnumbered the bad. His energy level has increased, his appetite has always been good, but it seems like he’s enjoying his food more rather than just eating.

On the down side, he has had a somewhat bad week. I am seeing things I’m a little concerned and worried about. In another post, I wrote how he was having trouble with is hind legs when trying to stand. It’s more than just slipping on the hard floors now. I have taken precautions with towels and throw rugs to keep him as safe as I can. Just recently, he is actually having trouble moving his legs to stand, even on carpeting. The other day I had to boost him up as his rear legs couldn’t do it. After walking around for awhile, his front left leg seemed to pull up and jerk around. It was like he had no control of its movements. He wasn't able to get that leg down to walk. He was in a perplexed state (as was I) as to why this was happening. It took about an hour before all was normal again. However, I can see that there are still problems going on with the rear legs. I also hear a scraping sound sometimes when he walks as though he is dragging is paw on the pavement. The other thing is that, for no reason I could tell, he vomited several times last week.

We are going to the cardiologist on Friday for his 2 month check up and I will bring up these issues. Not sure if any of them are related to his heart. He does have arthritis down the length of his spine, so the leg problems could be related to that.

Sorry for the long post. Wish us luck on Friday.

I've been thinking of you and sydney. I am pleased to hear that the good has outweighed the bad. I can't give you any words of advice but it seems like you are asking all the right questions and with the bad week, I'm sure you are glad to see the cardiologist Friday.

I will be thinking of you :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oliver has spondylosis (osteoarthritis) in his spine - though only in about 3 vertebrae at the top (almost directly over his small syrinx!). The first symptoms of this were very wobbly back legs. With strict bed rest, he now has no problems, though I am always aware that his spine is vulnerable (no more squeezing under gates or climbing sand dunes!). I think you need to talk to your vet about it - and perhaps give him some crate rest in the meantime? If he's got these problems it may not be terribly good for him to keep trying to walk. Cavaliers are also quite prone to disc problems. I've only known these walking difficulties coming from heart problems in the last stages of congestive heart failure, and it doesn't sound as if Sydney is quite at that stage yet. So perhaps worth looking at bones as well as heart?

Hope you get it sorted - whatever is causing it!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

You certainly are having a rough time of it. Just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you and sending positive healing thoughts your way. I hope everything gets sorted with the cardiologist and you get some answers for Sydney and yourself.:l*v:

Oh I am thinking of you and Sydney!! I have no advice on the medical side as other are much more suited to help you with that, but I just wanted to let you know that Brooklyn and I are thinking of Sydney and sending our love his way!! Big paw hugs to you both and I hope you find some answers/advice soon.:hug:

Be thinking of you on Friday. I think Kate is right that his legs are more to do with his back/discs?

Thanks for all your kind words and good wishes. Sydney is having a really low-key day today....I guess he's just not feeling well. I agree, Kate, it just might be his back. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but maybe he just doesn't show it. I just know when he's not feeling right. He's not walking around alot, just in and out of the house to take care of business.

He has been having accidents lately. :( It seems to happen while he is in a sound sleep and he doesn't even know its happening. If he is awake, he makes it to the door to go out. He gets up 2-3 times a night to pee and is drinking a lot of water. I know its from the diuretics and other heart medication he takes. Another thing to bring up to the cardiologist.

All in all, Sydney is still having a happy tail wagging life. :l*v: I'll update after his appointment on Friday.

Wish you luck XXX

Hi Joyce,

I wish you and Sydney luck on his check-up on friday , you will be in our thoughts.......

Take care

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Oh goodness, sweet Sydney! So much going on. My brothers dog developed Degenerative Myelopathy which affected things like back leg function. She was not in pain, and had bladder control issues (many times seeming put off that she had peed herself in her sleep).

You might want to consider a belly band for the urine incontinence (have a friend who used them with female pads)

I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer on Friday. Hugs to you Joyce!

Oh goodness, sweet Sydney! So much going on. My brothers dog developed Degenerative Myelopathy which affected things like back leg function. She was not in pain, and had bladder control issues (many times seeming put off that she had peed herself in her sleep).

You might want to consider a belly band for the urine incontinence (have a friend who used them with female pads)

I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer on Friday. Hugs to you Joyce!

I actually bought him a belly band but don't have the heart to put it on him. I guess I'd rather just wash his bed every day!

I just love Sydney..a brave senior Cavalier

You two have weathered so much! I know leg issues like that can be related to or caused by various issues...and I hope the cardiologist can at least point you in right direction. Poor guy is so sweet and ao hope you can help help him work through these challenges too. Hugs to you and kisses to Sydney.

So sorry Sydney is having a rough time :( Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

most of them accept those belly bands really well - alternatively you could try the incontinence pads sold for people or large pee pee pads in his bed - I think you can get fabric machine washable ones too, would save you from washing the whole bed?

Thanks for checking back Debra. Sydney's legs seem better today, but then again, he's not running around either. The more I think about it the more I think the leg issue has to do more with his spine/disc/arthritis and not his heart issues. We see the cardio tomorrow afternoon so we shall see then.

I hear you Joyce, about the belly band. My sweet Nash (non Cav) developed cancer, and the tumor caused incontinence. We could never bring ourselves to do the belly band thing.

I used old towels etc, in his bed, and the large laundry room where he stayed if we were gone. I did a lot of laundry during that time, but I would do it all again in a New York second.

Saying lots of prayers for your appt. tomorrow. (hug)

Good News!

***UPDATE***

Cardiology appt. went excellent. The doctor was thrilled and surprised that he has done so well during the past 2 mos. Heart rate was great! Did an echocardiogram.....NO fluid in his abdomen, lungs, or around his heart!b*n*n* As for the incontintence issue, it could be a bladder infection or just from the diuretics, but she is running a complete blood panel just to check his levels. He also lost another pound which is a concern so meds may have to be adjusted. He also has lost some muscle mass which is also to be expected.

The other thing that happened today, is that Sydney has had a fatty tumor on his neck for a few years that we have been watching. Earlier this week, I noticed some crusty blood in the area. So today, the cardiologist suggested I take him to the regular vet to have that checked out, which I did. The tumor had burst, so now he has a yucky looking hole in his neck :yuk: and is on antibiotics again. But at least it is nothing major to worry about now.

As far as the weakness in the back legs is concerned, we don't know exactly what it is and she said to speak to his regular vet about that, which I did. We are in a wait and see pattern with that. Both doctors said it may be focal seizures. The blood test is the first step for diagnosis. The other is MRI, which, because of the anesethesia issues with his heart, he can't have. So for right now, we are in a wait and see holding pattern. Given his age and other health issure, we will, most likely, just carefully watch him and make sure he is not in any distress or pain. Should get the results of the blood tests either tomorrow or Monday.

All in all, with his heart being the major issue, the news was MUCH better than expected and I am thrilled.

Very good news indeed!!

You are so right that heart is the big issue and the other things can be addressed with time and treatment. You both have such a great attitude!

I'm so relieved the appointment went well. I know sydneys heart is the biggest concern so that is wonderful news.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is wonderful news, I am so happy for sweet Sydney. There is a lot to deal with, but you are doing so well and I am thrilled about his heart. What a trooper. Sydney goes through so much, but just takes it in stride...bless him :)

Back