Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Sydney is doing..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    Oh goodness, sweet Sydney! So much going on. My brothers dog developed Degenerative Myelopathy which affected things like back leg function. She was not in pain, and had bladder control issues (many times seeming put off that she had peed herself in her sleep).

You might want to consider a belly band for the urine incontinence (have a friend who used them with female pads)

I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer on Friday. Hugs to you Joyce!
    I actually bought him a belly band but don't have the heart to put it on him. I guess I'd rather just wash his bed every day!
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Default I just love Sydney..a brave senior Cavalier

You two have weathered so much! I know leg issues like that can be related to or caused by various issues...and I hope the cardiologist can at least point you in right direction. Poor guy is so sweet and ao hope you can help help him work through these challenges too. Hugs to you and kisses to Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry Sydney is having a rough time Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

most of them accept those belly bands really well - alternatively you could try the incontinence pads sold for people or large pee pee pads in his bed - I think you can get fabric machine washable ones too, would save you from washing the whole bed?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just checking back....

Any update on Sydney??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for checking back Debra. Sydney's legs seem better today, but then again, he's not running around either. The more I think about it the more I think the leg issue has to do more with his spine/disc/arthritis and not his heart issues. We see the cardio tomorrow afternoon so we shall see then.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Joyce, about the belly band. My sweet Nash (non Cav) developed cancer, and the tumor caused incontinence. We could never bring ourselves to do the belly band thing.

I used old towels etc, in his bed, and the large laundry room where he stayed if we were gone. I did a lot of laundry during that time, but I would do it all again in a New York second.

Saying lots of prayers for your appt. tomorrow. (hug)
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good News!

***UPDATE***

Cardiology appt. went excellent. The doctor was thrilled and surprised that he has done so well during the past 2 mos. Heart rate was great! Did an echocardiogram.....NO fluid in his abdomen, lungs, or around his heart! As for the incontintence issue, it could be a bladder infection or just from the diuretics, but she is running a complete blood panel just to check his levels. He also lost another pound which is a concern so meds may have to be adjusted. He also has lost some muscle mass which is also to be expected.

The other thing that happened today, is that Sydney has had a fatty tumor on his neck for a few years that we have been watching. Earlier this week, I noticed some crusty blood in the area. So today, the cardiologist suggested I take him to the regular vet to have that checked out, which I did. The tumor had burst, so now he has a yucky looking hole in his neck and is on antibiotics again. But at least it is nothing major to worry about now.

As far as the weakness in the back legs is concerned, we don't know exactly what it is and she said to speak to his regular vet about that, which I did. We are in a wait and see pattern with that. Both doctors said it may be focal seizures. The blood test is the first step for diagnosis. The other is MRI, which, because of the anesethesia issues with his heart, he can't have. So for right now, we are in a wait and see holding pattern. Given his age and other health issure, we will, most likely, just carefully watch him and make sure he is not in any distress or pain. Should get the results of the blood tests either tomorrow or Monday.

All in all, with his heart being the major issue, the news was MUCH better than expected and I am thrilled.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very good news indeed!!

You are so right that heart is the big issue and the other things can be addressed with time and treatment. You both have such a great attitude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so relieved the appointment went well. I know sydneys heart is the biggest concern so that is wonderful news.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

This is wonderful news, I am so happy for sweet Sydney. There is a lot to deal with, but you are doing so well and I am thrilled about his heart. What a trooper. Sydney goes through so much, but just takes it in stride...bless him