• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Hair Chewing

love2driveinct

Lucky has decided he likes to make little dreadlocks on his ears. :eek:

It's sort of funny, but actually it does concern me as something boredom-related or possibly obsessive-compulsive. He finds a piece of hair that he can grab with his mouth, then he starts working at it with his saliva, chewing on it and sucking on it until it becomes thicker and thicker. I have already cut off a few of them; the first one was three inches long!

I really want to get him to stop doing this sooner rather than later because I'm afraid he will just develop a habit that will be hard to break.

Has anyone else's dog done this?

Haven't come across that problem. But maybe you could spray something that he doesn't like the taste of on his ears. Maybe something like Bitter Apple, you can find it in most pet stores. Cavaliers can be obsessive-compulsive, but if you think boredom, maybe a Kong toy to keep him busy or some extra exercise to tire him out. Hope this helps.

Holly had amazing ears! Occasionally she would chew on them if they collected food particles.If she didn't have a snood on her when eating,they would trail into the bowl and ten mins later,you'd find her on the sofa,sucking on the end of the ears.
So I think keep food particles out of the hair and it'll help,use a snood at mealtimes and if they get wet from him chewing them,stop him and dry the ears straight away.
Of course we didn't reckon on the puppy feasting on her ears either and she removed a three inch chunk from one of Hollly' ears...it happens,then the groomer thought she'd be helpful and bobbed four inches off the ears...* sighs *
Sins

:oops: Met a breeder who was showing his lovely tri back in August. Dog was beautiful except one ear was a little ragged. Apparently his baby sister chewed on his ear the night before the show!! :oops:So I do think some cavaliers do it.

Karen H

I'd suggest a snood as well. My guys eat a wet diet, but they don't eat unless they have a snood on so we never have food particles in the ears.

Lucky has gorgeous long ears and has never chewed them. (Sparky's ears are naturally shorter, but he doesn't chew his either)

Back