• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Exciting news!!

Nicki

Rupert's Fund is supporting a research project in Canada to investigate pain so it is better understood and treated. It aims to look for structural damage to the brain and spinal cord between Cavaliers with and without clinical signs of pain associated with syringomyelia (SM) and chiari-like malformation(CM)This pilot study is supported jointly with the For the Love of Ollie Fund.

It is being conducted at the Thames Valley Veterinary Services (Jane Sykes and John Butler) in cooperation with the Lawson Health Research Institute (Karen Kennedy, Frank Bihari and Lela Deans in collaboration with Dr Rusbridge in the UK).

Jane Sykes is providing free pre-anaesthesia bloodwork on the dogs and Clare Rusbridge, a free grading certificate, which has allowed costs to be kept to a minimum. Thanks to Karen Kennedy''s hard work in co-ordinating the dogs, Rupert's Fund is delighted to report there have already been 7 A grade dogs identified, 5 of which have been over 6 years of age!!

This project has been made possible by the hard working army of Cavalier lovers whose donations, however small or large have made a huge difference. It is an excellent example of how breeders, researchers and pet owners are doing the best they can to ensure we get much needed answers.

Excuse the jargon

This shows how two very successful initiatives organised and mainly funded by pet owners are making such a difference to the future of the dogs that we love.

I have longed maintained that pet owners ( or as they like to call them at the Kennel Club, 'Companion Dog Owners') should be seen as one of the 'Major Stakeholders' when decisions about the breed are made.
That is why we are exploring the possibility of setting up a Kennel Club Registered Companion Cavalier Club.

At least four out of five cavaliers will be in pet homes. Their owners care for the majority of the dogs affected by inherited conditions and deal with the financial and emotional cost of SM & MVD.

Pet owners should have a stake in what is going on and it was very satisfying that the KC, by inviting pet owner representatives to the latest MRI Scheme meeting, now seem to be recognising that.

It is wonderful that that these two funds are enabling pet owners and breeders to come closer & work together with the aim of giving cavaliers a healthier future.

Nicki,

I think its wonderful and I think this shows how well breeders, the canadian club health and education committee, worked well with the researchers and it was made possible due to funding by ruperts fund and for the love of ollie which is supported by all.

I know there is a good group of breeders in canada that have been working real hard and focused on health.

http://embeecav.blogspot.com/2011/03/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-breeding.html

So I'm very glad that to see that ruperts fund has contributed :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I love embee cavaliers Anniemac, I have bought snoods from her and am a follower of her on Facebook. She is wonderful.

On another note, Nicki, this is wonderful. I am so happy to read this before I go to sleep. We were out for a long evening and I just got home and am cuddling with in bed smiling, she is happy and I am happy...hoping that all these initiatives will make our little loves future life better and more full. Wonderful. Every step is a big one as far as I'm concerned.

I would also like to thank jane sykes for the free anethsethia and dr. Rusbridge for her time to read the results free also. The time and effort of the dogs travelling and being scanned and of course all who have contributed to ruperts fund and not to leave out sandy smith and for the love of ollie. This is a really good example of how well everyone worked together and I appreciate all involved.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wonderful news!!!! something to celebrate

Sounds like wonderful groups and individuals involved. thanks to all who played a role in this.

I think this is a great week for the future of our Cavaliers!

With this and the MRI screening protocol to begin in January.

It seems like finally changes are happening for the future of the Cavalier- what the future holds is still negotiable, we need everyone to come together and get on board with this scheme for it to work.

After reading some posts on other forums that there is some resistance still with regards to re scanning and grading dogs but what we really need is to get the word out to the general public that will be the future owners of Cavaliers to buy from scanned parents!!!

I really wish we could get some big publicity for this scheme to notify the general public!

Back