Thread: Chloe hiding raw chicken neck - any ideas what to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chloe hiding raw chicken neck - any ideas what to do?

Hello all. Our Chloe, who is on raw diet, did something interesting just now, a first for her. She broke her meal of chicken neck into two, ate the smaller bit, and like some other dogs do I guess, went to dig a hole and 'bury' the other half of the chicken neck. It is not 100% hidden, we could still see the neck under a pebble, bless her! Now, do I just ignore this and see if it is still there tomorrow, or do I go and chuck that piece of raw neck in the bin in case it might get spoiled and could cause her food poisoning maybe? Advise needed! btw it is about 11 degree Celsius outside, maybe as low as 9 later. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My dog Belle did that to my hair bobbin (a scrunchie) one time. Eversince she was a puppy she would try to pull it out of my hair. Well, one time I dropped it, didn't realize it and she was outside with the thing. It was never seen again. I know she didn't eat it, but buried it somewhere, for safe keeping... lol. Dogs are funny.

Anyway, I would chuck it when she's not looking, just in case.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes do dispose of it just in case...

Try holding on to one end with a pair of pliers - so she has to tug it away from you. Hopefully that will keep her more interested.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Desrae and Nicki. They are a funny bunch aren't they. Holding one end using a plier - is that to make sure I am not spreading whatever on my fingers? Or just to keep fingers clean?

Post Thanks / Like

That is so cute.....saving it for a midnight snack! Amazing how instinct kicks in sometimes. My folks had a dog years ago that would bury his hard biscuit treats in my mothers couch.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

It is very cute indeed and natural! Alas, problem solved in terms of keeping her instincts as they are - we bought new treats of dried venison tendons for her today, each about 5 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. She has been busy carrying half of that in her mouth, showing off a little bit, and just a few minutes ago we found that piece tucked very nicely under a rather large pebble where she was playing earlier. Well done Chloe! We are so proud of her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Chloeinalbany;403409. Holding one end using a plier - is that to make sure I am not spreading whatever on my fingers? Or just to keep fingers clean? [/QUOTE]

It's great for hygiene reasons [and I really don't like handling them much anyway UGH] but it started after I wasn't paying attention and one of mine bit through my finger nail by mistake OUCH

You can clean them afterwards and spray with a disinfectant such as Zoflora [recommended by holistic vet Richard Allport]

I thought it might make it more interesting for Chloe so that she would eat the whole thing at once. Some are natural "buriers", alternatively is she actually hungry?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    That is so cute.....saving it for a midnight snack! Amazing how instinct kicks in sometimes. My folks had a dog years ago that would bury his hard biscuit treats in my mothers couch.
    Mine does that Claire Bless her heart. She runs all over my two bedroom appartment and then buries it in the couch or behind my pillow in the bed. One time she buried one in my boyfriends suitcase. He got to charlotte for work, opened the suitcase and found a present. It kills me! whats even funnier is that when we go to the coffeeshop where i buy the biscuit, and i give it to her whole;!she will drag me right back home with that look on her face as if shes trying to make herself invisible so the other dogs wont see what shes up too, then she buries the biscuit immediately and then we can continue our walk

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!