• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chloe hiding raw chicken neck - any ideas what to do?

Chloeinalbany

Hello all. Our Chloe, who is on raw diet, did something interesting just now, a first for her. She broke her meal of chicken neck into two, ate the smaller bit, and like some other dogs do I guess, went to dig a hole and 'bury' the other half of the chicken neck. It is not 100% hidden, we could still see the neck under a pebble, bless her! Now, do I just ignore this and see if it is still there tomorrow, or do I go and chuck that piece of raw neck in the bin in case it might get spoiled and could cause her food poisoning maybe? Advise needed! :lol: btw it is about 11 degree Celsius outside, maybe as low as 9 later. Thanks.

My dog Belle did that to my hair bobbin (a scrunchie) one time. Eversince she was a puppy she would try to pull it out of my hair. Well, one time I dropped it, didn't realize it and she was outside with the thing. It was never seen again. I know she didn't eat it, but buried it somewhere, for safe keeping... lol. Dogs are funny.

Anyway, I would chuck it when she's not looking, just in case.

Yes do dispose of it just in case...

Try holding on to one end with a pair of pliers - so she has to tug it away from you. Hopefully that will keep her more interested.

Thanks Desrae and Nicki. They are a funny bunch aren't they. Holding one end using a plier - is that to make sure I am not spreading whatever on my fingers? Or just to keep fingers clean? :)

That is so cute.....saving it for a midnight snack! Amazing how instinct kicks in sometimes. My folks had a dog years ago that would bury his hard biscuit treats in my mothers couch.

It is very cute indeed and natural! Alas, problem solved in terms of keeping her instincts as they are - we bought new treats of dried venison tendons for her today, each about 5 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. She has been busy carrying half of that in her mouth, showing off a little bit, and just a few minutes ago we found that piece tucked very nicely under a rather large pebble where she was playing earlier. Well done Chloe! We are so proud of her. :)

Chloeinalbany;403409. Holding one end using a plier - is that to make sure I am not spreading whatever on my fingers? Or just to keep fingers clean? :)[/QUOTE said:
It's great for hygiene reasons [and I really don't like handling them much anyway UGH] but it started after I wasn't paying attention and one of mine bit through my finger nail by mistake OUCH

You can clean them afterwards and spray with a disinfectant such as Zoflora [recommended by holistic vet Richard Allport]

I thought it might make it more interesting for Chloe so that she would eat the whole thing at once. Some are natural "buriers", alternatively is she actually hungry?

That is so cute.....saving it for a midnight snack! Amazing how instinct kicks in sometimes. My folks had a dog years ago that would bury his hard biscuit treats in my mothers couch.

Mine does that Claire Bless her heart. She runs all over my two bedroom appartment and then buries it in the couch or behind my pillow in the bed. One time she buried one in my boyfriends suitcase. He got to charlotte for work, opened the suitcase and found a present. It kills me!:) whats even funnier is that when we go to the coffeeshop where i buy the biscuit, and i give it to her whole;!she will drag me right back home with that look on her face as if shes trying to make herself invisible so the other dogs wont see what shes up too, then she buries the biscuit immediately and then we can continue our walk:)

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back