• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toby Can Herd!

Zumie05

Well, today Coco and Toby (gamefanz) got to meet! We took them to a herd dog training farm and they got to try out some sheep and ducks. They both had SO much fun and got incredibly tired! I really can't wait to go back, I had fun too and was so proud of my little girl. The funny thing too is while we were waiting our turn, Toby and Coco got to hang out in an off leash area and yup they have the same play style! Sniff and kiss lol.

Here are Toby's pics that I got:

Dad, what am I supposed to do?

tobylookingforhelp.jpg

Toby, you CHASE them

getthesheepresize.jpg

Uhmmm, are you sure that's ok? You won't yell at me?

toby3sheep.jpg

Alright then!

tobysheepherding.jpg

tobyherdingsheep.jpg

tobysheep.jpg

tobysheepbutt.jpg

tobyroundingsheep.jpg

Toby's sheep were a little too big for him, and being only 5 months old a bit intimidating....yet he still got them moving! Once he got to the ducks....

Lemme at em!

(No ducks were harmed during this event, there was an instructor with a long pole to protect the ducks in case the dogs got too rough)

I own you, duck

tobyfly.jpg

That's right, fear me!

tobyduckflock.jpg

Play?

tobyplaybowduck.jpg

Ok lets get serious now

tobytail.jpg

tobystalking.jpg

tobystalk.jpg

NOM

tobybiteduck.jpg

More pictures please. These are great photos of Toby.....now we need to see Coco herding! And pics of Toby and Coco together!

You took some awesome pictures of Toby Alisha! Thank you so much. I copied them to my computer. I posted the videos I had in the video section. I you want the one of the dogs playing I can send it to you in an email. The one of Toby herding is too large to send to anyone :(
I can't wait to see Coco's pictures! She is a herding machine!

Becky

Oh my gosh, I love these!! It looks like such fun! I am jealous, I (I mean Brooklyn :lol:) want to herd!!!

I agree, more pics please and ones of Coco too. So glad you both got to meet up.

More pictures please. These are great photos of Toby.....now we need to see Coco herding! And pics of Toby and Coco together!

Lol working on it! And yes gamefanz took some video of Toby and Coco playing together, well more running around than playing haha.

Last edited:
How do you find a place like this? Thistle loves bossing things around, she'd be perfect for herding.

Well to be honest, I just popped "dog herding" into google and found a few places. I called them and decided to go to this one, as the instructors there seemed to have the most experience and work with any breed of dog. Some places can be very snooty about only allowing "herding" breeds in. As you can see, Cavaliers can do anything!

Zumie and Becky :

This is wonderful ! Such an enriching experience for the dogs, and their owners too I'm guessing :smile: Toby looks fearless behind those big sheep bless him, and I swear I can see a smile on his face on one of the pics. I like the 'Nom' shot. Erm, may I ask a question Becky? You didn't have duck for dinner did you??

Thank you. At one point I thought we were bringing one home :lol: I even asked the instructor afterward if the ducks were ok. We had a great time out there. Toby was so tired. He slept all evening and all night long!

Becky

I'm amused at a US/UK difference - if I taught Oliver to go anywhere near sheep and try to herd them, and he did it when off-lead in the countryside, he would risk getting shot by a farmer - who has a legal right to kill any dog he thinks is disturbing his sheep. And I spent much time in his youth teaching Oliver to IGNORE any bird (he was a dedicated bird chaser when I got him at a year old). I suppose the difference is that in England almost every town is surrounded by farmland, which we are allowed to walk over courtesy of our wonderful system of public footpaths, so our dogs are regularly in contact with farm animals - and firmly taught to respect them and keep away or (especially with sheep) kept on lead.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Even though we do have horse property and some cow property not far from us, we really do live in suburbia. I am close to shopping and restaurants. We really do not see farms unless we pass by them in the car. Actually it was the first time Toby has ever seen a sheep or duck. I think if you lived primarily in farm country then yes I think herding for a sport may be off limits.
Becky

That "nom" shot is just priceless!! Love the pictures, including the ones with Coco herding. :D I've never seen pics of any dogs other than the herders herding! It's usually GSDs, Aussies, or Border Collies that I see herding, lol.

Zumie did take some amazing pictures!

Becky

That "nom" shot is just priceless!! Love the pictures, including the ones with Coco herding. :D I've never seen pics of any dogs other than the herders herding! It's usually GSDs, Aussies, or Border Collies that I see herding, lol.

Back