Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toby Can Herd!

Post Thanks / Like

Zumie and Becky :

This is wonderful ! Such an enriching experience for the dogs, and their owners too I'm guessing Toby looks fearless behind those big sheep bless him, and I swear I can see a smile on his face on one of the pics. I like the 'Nom' shot. Erm, may I ask a question Becky? You didn't have duck for dinner did you??

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. At one point I thought we were bringing one home I even asked the instructor afterward if the ducks were ok. We had a great time out there. Toby was so tired. He slept all evening and all night long!

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

I'm amused at a US/UK difference - if I taught Oliver to go anywhere near sheep and try to herd them, and he did it when off-lead in the countryside, he would risk getting shot by a farmer - who has a legal right to kill any dog he thinks is disturbing his sheep. And I spent much time in his youth teaching Oliver to IGNORE any bird (he was a dedicated bird chaser when I got him at a year old). I suppose the difference is that in England almost every town is surrounded by farmland, which we are allowed to walk over courtesy of our wonderful system of public footpaths, so our dogs are regularly in contact with farm animals - and firmly taught to respect them and keep away or (especially with sheep) kept on lead.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Even though we do have horse property and some cow property not far from us, we really do live in suburbia. I am close to shopping and restaurants. We really do not see farms unless we pass by them in the car. Actually it was the first time Toby has ever seen a sheep or duck. I think if you lived primarily in farm country then yes I think herding for a sport may be off limits.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

That "nom" shot is just priceless!! Love the pictures, including the ones with Coco herding. I've never seen pics of any dogs other than the herders herding! It's usually GSDs, Aussies, or Border Collies that I see herding, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Zumie did take some amazing pictures!

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by lucidity View Post
    That "nom" shot is just priceless!! Love the pictures, including the ones with Coco herding. I've never seen pics of any dogs other than the herders herding! It's usually GSDs, Aussies, or Border Collies that I see herding, lol.